10 year olds and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A related post the other day got me thinking: I had been told recently that PADI lowered the minimum age for Junior OWD certification to 10. My son (aged 8) is desperate to try diving, and whilst I am keen to get him involved in the sport (a) I don't want to be one of those Dads who pushes their kids to do the sports they love, and (b) I do worry a bit that 10 is a little tooyoung. I spoke to an instructor at my LDS and they said that they "discourage" younger children from doing it, but if he is a good swimmer and physically able to handle the gear, they would teach him - but that it was really my call. They also warned that some 10 year olds may struggle with some of theory.

I know I started diving about 9 or 10 with my Dad, but equally in those days no one wore seat belts and happily drove home after drinking a few beers, so that is hardly a litmus test of good safe diving practice.

What views do other people have on the subject? Either instructors who have taught kids, or people with children who dive?

Both SDI and PADI have lowered the minimum age to 10. That means that instructors may teach persons as young as 10 to scuba dive. That does not mean that all 10 year olds are capable of learning to dive safely nor does it mean that all instructors are capable of teaching 10 year olds. Careful evaluation of the student both by the parents and by the instructor is essential. Also (often missed) is the importance of a careful self-evaluation by the instructor. Not all of us are suited to teach children. I know that I am not.

Sorry, I don't have kids but do teach snorkelling and swim fin to kids.

You seem very fortunate to have a father who facilitated your entry into the sport. Since your son has expressed an interest in diving, you wouldn't be one of those fathers that push their kids into a sport that they love. As a coach, I have seen that happen. If the kid had no interest in diving, I think it would be very dangerous to take them diving.

I see you are in the BVI. If you were up here in AK I would say "no way" because of differences in the environment.

If the kid has an interest (your and his call), is physically capable (your and the instructor's call), the kid likes it after trying it (his call) and it can be safely (all three of your call), why not start. Also, is there a kid-type age appropriate experience like several of the agencies offer that he can participate in, or is he beyond that at this point? Even though he is young, can you structure his dive experiences to keep him within that realm of safety you seem concerned about without making the activity boring after a few dives?

PADI lowered it to 10 several years ago. Other agencies followed suit. NAUI recently lowered their standards to match the minimum age of 10. As far as I know, YMCA is the lone holdout (please tell me there are others with integrity on this issue) who has not lowered their minimum age to 10.

There is just too much we don't know about how high partial pressures of nitrogen affects bone growth. Additionally, children at that age are not mature enough, IMO, to handle the possible problems of diving. Why rush?

If your child has interest, then more power to you. However, I firmly believe that 10 year olds should NOT be considered a true "dive partner" to an adult. What one must truthfully answer are the standard partner questions...can this person provide assistance if I should be the one with the problem? Can this person conduct a safe tow? Is this person physically and mentally equipped to handle an emergency? or even If the unthinkable happens and I don't make it, will this person ever be "normal" again (psychologically)?
To me, it would make sense if the ten year old was to join a pair of adults, but I simply don't think a child that young should be considered a true dive partner.

I am not an instructor and neither of my kids dive, however my youngest is seven and he sounds like your eight year old. He has been asking to learn for a few years and when I told him he couldn't learn until he was atleast ten he tried to negotiate with me over the starting age. My other son is thirteen and has no interest in diving and I will not push him.

I do share the same concerns Walter brings up, but if he really wants to dive and can prove to my wife (another non-diver) and I that he is ready I will sign him up. Till then he is joining the swim team so he is more comfortable in the water. He has learned the names of the basic scuba gear and what it does. Also, it will be made clear that he is on his own during the class. To prevent him from depending on me I will not take the class (or sit in it) with him, but I will give him all the help I can outside of the class. Hopefully he will still be interested in three years, but if he's not then thats ok too.

The Junior OW Diver cert for SSI is for 10-15 year olds. Special conditions are place on 10-11 year olds:
Once certified, 10 and 11 year old Junior Open Water
Divers must dive with a certified parent or guardian or
active dive leader to a maximum depth of 40 feet (12
meters).
I've certified two 10 year olds and refused to certify one. There is a lot of effort that goes into educating the parental units, who will be diving with the kid and their competency has a direct impact on my decision to cert or not cert a kid.
I insist on interviewing the kid and their parents before agreeing to take a kid on. I'm up front on my standards and the possibility I will refuse to certify.

If they make it into the class, there can be no more than four students in the class.
The maximum number of students for openwater
training when 10 or 11 year old students are
participating is 4 to 1. Although additional assistants
may be used, no additional students may be added to
the responsibility of the individual certified Instructor.
I prefer they go with a private class, because throwing a kid into a class of adults can result in the sessions being too technical for the kid or too boring for the adults.

It's important that the parent allow the kid to do the work on their own. Many want to try and explain things they don't fully understand themselves or give the kid the answer if he is struggling. It doesn't help the situation.

I'm pretty intense when emphasizing buddy contact, pre-dive checks, max depths and ways to minimize potential for risk. The parents are really the ones who need training above and beyond OW. They are effectively operating as a DM when diving with their child. It's very serious biz.

Assuming a child has first demonstrated comfort and maturity in both swimming and snorkeling, possible follow-on steps for children as young as 8 could include PADI’s confined water Bubblemaker program (try scuba) and then the pool-only Seal Team.

With the right instructor and child and parent, they can be positive experiences.

I took OW when I was 11 and waited until I was 12 to get my card (it's my exact bday actually....kinda cool!). At 12 I took cavern with the NACD president. Looking back, I was probly a better student when I was 12 than had I waited until I was 16, I listened more and argued less lol. I can tell you this, diving at that age provided my dad and I a TON of great memories together, and I wouldn't give them up for anything.

My oldest son and I went through OW together when he was 12. He did great but I must say, it was stressful on me. If doing it again, I would get certed first so that it wouldn't be as stressful for me!

My younger son started training just before he turned 11. He was large for his age and very athletic. I put him in a one on one class with his instructor. Other than a couple of situations that the dive environment intimidated him, he did fine. Both boys made great divers and were probably more natural at it than me. However, I do agree that the parent needs to act like a DM!

I agree with UCFdiver's comments as well!

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom