10 year olds and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bearing in mind what others have pointed out; unknown effects of pressure on epiphyseal bone, small eustachian tubes inhibiting clearing, lack of physical strength, not having moved from concrete to abstract thinking patterns (problem solving abilities), and a host of other horrid potential problems...

There is nothing so cool as watching your child delight in the discovery of the underwater world, that you are sharing with them.These are memories you will share forever. Someone else mentioned that they observed younger divers gain self confidence which impacts the rest of their life, very true.

I am one of those self taught youngsters from long ago, I grew to my expected height, my liver did not explode, and I have enjoyed the daylights out of diving; my kids started young and have suffered no ill effects, they have seen things that most kids their ages have never seen and will never see, they have traveled to places their peers have never heard of, all from involvement in diving

The only down side is that you must watch the 10 year olds like a hawk while underwater, so your focus is on them, your preparation and planning for a dive must be meticulous, as the adult your enjoyment is vicarious.

I never saw this as a down side though

I have certified a 10 year old. The child was able to handle the equipment and did better than some adults in the class. The child did better than an older sibling in the open water! Seemed to be okay.

Believe me, if there was any reason not to certify a 10 year old I would not hesitate to withhold certification.

My 10 yr old daughter starts a week in Scuba day camp on July 7. At the end of the week, they expect the kids to be ready for their OW dives. I will let you know how this goes.

A related post the other day got me thinking: I had been told recently that PADI lowered the minimum age for Junior OWD certification to 10. My son (aged 8) is desperate to try diving, and whilst I am keen to get him involved in the sport (a) I don't want to be one of those Dads who pushes their kids to do the sports they love, and (b) I do worry a bit that 10 is a little too young. I spoke to an instructor at my LDS and they said that they "discourage" younger children from doing it, but if he is a good swimmer and physically able to handle the gear, they would teach him - but that it was really my call. They also warned that some 10 year olds may struggle with some of theory.

I know I started diving about 9 or 10 with my Dad, but equally in those days no one wore seat belts and happily drove home after drinking a few beers, so that is hardly a litmus test of good safe diving practice.

What views do other people have on the subject? Either instructors who have taught kids, or people with children who dive?

My questions would center around some major issues (in no particular order)

• unknown effects on bone growth (as mentioned by Walter)
  • the ability of a 10 year old to act rationally in an emergency
  • remember as your buddy the child might need to rescue you in an emergency
  • what would be the effect of the child for the balance of their life if they froze and you died or were seriously injured as a result
  • can the child adequately handle & understand the Boyle's law etc.
If you decide to get your child certified at age 10 It might be advisable to have you and another responsible adult diving with the child at all times. That way in case of an emergency with one adult the other adult can assist the child if an emergency occurs.

Like you I am also a parent. I have a 14 year old daughter who dives. Her mother and I agreed that 10 was much too young and thought that PADI was crazy for lowering the age to 10 (NAUI still had a minimum age of 12 at that point).

She was certified at at age 12.5. She has been diving in Caribbean, New England and Pennsylvania. She has a NAUI Junior Advanced Open Water certification but I still keep her above 60 feet. She will be taking the NAUI Scuba Rescue diver course later this year.

Recently I had the absolute pleasure of giving my good friends children an intro lesson and dive in their pool. The twins are ten a boy and girl. They live in Cairns.
I found them far easier to teach than any students in the past. They quickly understood signals, equipment and safety procedures discussed.

In two weeks I return and will commence them on a OW course.
They have been told if they can answer the exam and show competency in their skills then I have no problem in diving with them and certifying them.

The only caution I can see is finding the ability to control and direct their enthusiasm
without extinguishing it.

This is a Good read: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lpt/kids.htm

I have a 10 year old and I would love for him to dive and he has a great interest in it. I do have my reserves.

I think kids can pick up the information and learn the skills much quicker than adults. But my reservations are regarding the fact that children are not psychologically mature enough to deal with a true emergency if something was to happen to me or my wife. I believe this only comes with life experience and time.

I could write a lot more, but I'm at work. :D

just my 2psi :zen:

I think that in some countries, children 10 years of age has a maturity higher than many college students in the USA. Of course, that doesn't say much for the maturity of the 10 year old in the USA.

I agree, children should not be trusted as a dive buddy. One really should be fully confident as a diver before introducing their children to diving. It is one of the main reason why I took rescue and progressing through DM training - so that I can be a safer diver when I dive with my son (12 going on 13). It disturb me to see family units doing OW training all at once with their preteen and early teen children.

When I dive with my son, he is really never more than arm reach from me.

Here are some more recent abstracts from the UHMS annual meetings on children. Thought some of you might find them a good read:

A CASE OF RECURRING NEUROLOGIC DECOMPRESSION ILLNESS: OR IS IT?
Worth, Patel, and Freiberger. 2005 UHMS Abstract
RRR ID: 1685

Treatment of Diving Accidents in a Pediatric Population in Hawaii, 1983-2003
Smerz. 2004 UHMS Abstract
RRR ID: 1543

DIVING WITH CHILDREN: REVIEW OF EXPERIENCE REPORTS AND OPINIONS - AMSTERDAM EXPERT MEETING 02 AND GENEVA ROUNDTABLE 03.
Wendling. 2004 UHMS Abstract
RRR ID: 1598

DIVING FATALITIES INVOLVING CHILDREN AND ADOLESCENTS: 1989-2002.
Caruso, Uguccioni, Ellis, Dovenbarger, and Bennett. 2004 UHMS Abstract
RRR ID: 1599

Children and Diving: Yours, Mine and Ours.
Taylor. 2004 UHMS Abstract
RRR ID: 1550

CHILDREN TREATED FOR DCI AND PULMONARY OXYGEN TOXICITY.
Ambriz, Abarca, and Torp. 2003 UHMS Abstract
RRR ID: 1352

Last edited:
Swimming and snorkeling from a very young age in New Zealand and I have the cold water boney protrusions in my ear canals to prove it...

Almost drowned snorkeling at 12 years old - Only thing that saved me was my dad pulling me out of the Ocean. I certainly did not have situational awareness at that age and ultimately could not stop panic when I was in a difficult situation. I had plenty of "I can do" attitude and was back in the ocean the next day.

Well a small chime in here - my kids are almost 11 and certified. They had been bubble blowers since they were 8, and had lots of pool time by the time they hit the class at 10.5 yo. Plus they almost had memorized the OPEN WATER CD. They were brought up to speed slowly - so I'm not sure what a 10 yo would do just thrown into it.

They have had the bug since they first watched a Cozumel video.

Aluminum 50's are just to cute with with a donut and backplate. LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom