105 or 60

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

- feedback on the Tamron 90mm f/2.8? it seems to sell for about 1/2 the cost of the Nikonj 105mm
I recently bought the Tamron 90mm. I don't care for the macro shots from the 105. Not enough DOF for most nudibranch shots. One of my friends uses a 60mm with a 1.4 teleconvertor on his Nikon D200. I wanted similar shots from my D700 without spending well over a grand for the 85mm. I've been happy so far with the 90.
Marineland17-1.jpg

Marineland10-1.jpg

Marineland26-1.jpg

Understand. My Nikon dive camera is worth more than my car.

An expensive dive camera and an expensive divorce, what do they have in common?

They're both worth it! :wink:

LOL - it's because I've been through the latter that I am trying to save on costs for the former. But I can't disagree with you!

MaxBt, those are very nice photos. Thanks for sharing them and the feedback on the lens.

...I don't care for the macro shots from the 105. Not enough DOF for most nudibranch shots...

Please explain. They're both fast f/2.8 lenses. If you can get f/16 on one you can get f/16 on the other.

Last edited:
Most nudibranch photos I've seen from 105s have half the animal out of focus.

Got it.

I think that's operator error, not a fault of the Nikon. Maybe because the 105 is so popular that novices are using it too and not getting the DOF correct.

In my case, even with bifocals I can't seen the camera's screen well enough to tell whether or not my DOF is adequate, I have to wait and see it on the computer.

Most nudibranch photos I've seen from 105s have half the animal out of focus.

Are you referring to the Bokeh in these images? The style I find most pleasing for Nudibranch photos is a front shot focusing on the Rhinophores that recedes to blurred gills and a background that is completely blurred or black. The 105 will do this easier because the bokeh on the 105 is much better than the 60. Plain side shots of Nudibranchs are doable with both lenses but typically you need to use smaller apertures to get the depth of field that you want on the 105. That being said, I have seen plenty of good nudibranch shots from both lenses.

examples

IMG_3846.jpg_DSC8045.jpgThe Nudibranch is shot with a 60mm at F10 with plenty of room to work with, and the caterpillar is shot with a 105mm at F13, which was just barely enough to get the face in focus, but I was able to achieve the blurred background that I wanted. I used a snoot on the 60 to achieve the black background.

Back
Top Bottom