12v Hookah Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi mate,

Just been following this thread, listening with interest and on many other forums on the subject of hookah.

Where does one start....let's get the health and safety out of the way first, as a certified diver myself (hookah user of 17 yrs, gold, anodes, you name it) it goes without saying that breathing compressed air underwater carries risks, doesn't matter what depth. You are your own council on safety, so as long as you understand the risks. With the sort of response you've had here, I'm sure you've had your fill of advice on safety. All I'll say is understand the risks, then we can have some 'positive' discussion on using hookah. I'm sure like many other hookah newbies you're sick of the 'you're going to die' on hookah.

The topic of hookah on this and many other forums always wanders off into a rammy from the bully scuba world. I've listened to some of the 'gash' negativity towards hookah users and quite frankly, unless these SCUBA bullies actually have used a hookah rig, 'most' of their responses are speculative and guess work. What do they think they are breathing, uncompressed air? How does the dive shop fill their bottles, do they inspect the filtration systems, do they actually know what clean air is? They would give your hun end the toothache listening to some of them.

Clean air is clean air, whether it is supplied in their cylinders at 300bar or pumped into a keene receiver tank at 40PSI.

There are perhaps other long term hookah users on here too that put up with the hastle and negativity, why don't you guys give it a rest with so much badgering. If it's not related to stereotypical scuba practices, most of you guys are flapping about like nutters. Do your homework on low pressure systems, compressor systems, filtration, etc., then come and badger me with some negativity, inacurate and inconsistent info, see how you stack up.

But, on a negative/positive note, that silly rig is without a doubt questionable and unsafe, you see, we do have common sense! On a positive note, what I'd do is put a 5 micron filter in line, 1/8" NPT to 1/4"BSP adaptor on the pump, which incidentally is a diaphram oil-less compressor, smaller, but on the 'SAME' principle as the Keene/Thomas T80 unit, but smaller/cheaper. Pop that onto the keene, LP20 harness, line and regulator. If you were on a T80, you still run the risk of a mechanical failure either way, at least if the pump goes, the receiver tank holds some air and you will feel the strain on the reg.

I expect incoming fire for sure :coffee:

To keep the flames to a minimum Ill keep this short. In a word it was FUN. The hookah worked flawlessly and I got down to about the about 8-9 foot depth. On the danger factor it was really simple and uneventfull, the most dangerous part I found to be actually walking through the river without the hookah but with the wetsuit on and some current to the river. The wetsuit definately adds some buoyancy. Maybe Ill find more danger for you guys next time.
Anyway in conclusion Id recommend it to anyone looking to do some shallow depth diving.

Reactions: jm
Terallan,

Respectfully, a careful review of the thread leads me to believe most of the post (at least at the start) were targeted at the OP being ignorant of the risk, not the air supply method. While you are correct the ultimately you are you own council on safety, a person who relies only on his own input is a fool. The OP continued to post despite the critical post and even though some animosity was exchanged, he was smart enough to continue the dialog, at least at this point he is no longer ignorant of the basic risk which hopefully made is entry into the diving world a little safer.

I also believe that that the OP never actually said he was using the cheap little rig pictured. Another poster speculated that the OP was using it, which developed into a discussion about the merits of that unit. People just sort of took the ball and ran with it it, but again, the OP has never identified his hookah in this thread.

Terallen I take alot of the flames here with a grain of salt. Its pretty common on web forums for everyone one to want be a bigger know-it-all than the next guy. You just got to try to find some knowledge out of the flames and you seem to have some.
On the rig it does have the same air compressor as in that pic but it has a dedicated diving hose that screws right to the compressor, not the setup that was pictured. On the filter and tank. I dont think it would work as it only runs 17 psi. Which is too low to use a tank or need a filter as I understand it.

Through your nose. Try it sometime :wink:

With a mask over your nose?

I can do it. Similar to mask clearing. I can also imagine letting some of the "overpressure" bubble out of my mouth by not having a tight seal on the mouthpiece with my lips.

A long time ago before I was certified, I went "helmet diving." One wore a surface supplied hard hat helmet and all the overpressure and exhaling simply bubbled out around your neck. You just had to keep your head vertical. (This was not while swimming. We knelt on the sandy bottom why the guide pointed out different fish, coral, etc.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom