1st time diving with computer - silly question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course I have. I took the e-learning class too. It doesn't say specifically that it does (at least the elearning didn't) - it just said it records the dive, calculates no fly time, adjusts bottom time on the fly based on depth, etc. But it doesn't meant specifically 2nd, 3rd, 4th dives...
Please note that the "e-learning class" product was probably put together by a third-party company called DiveNav. I believe that a number of computer manufacturers have partnered with DiveNav to provide "free" online computer classes to new owners. I would think this would be a pretty nice way to learn how to operate the computer. If the manufacturer of your computer doesn't have this agreement with DiveNav, then you have to buy credits in order to take the e-learning class. Cost of taking the class is approx $5+.

You might want to contact Alberto, the developer/owner of DiveNav, to let him know that the Mares Puck online class does not make this point on residual nitrogen tracking abundantly clear. I'm sure he'd appreciate the input. Alberto monitors the "Dive Computers" forum here on ScubaBoard. He frequently makes posts that direct prospective computer buyers to his website, which hosts a searchable directory of dive computers based on desired features.

...I always used tables. So my question is this....

After my first dive.... the computer will keep track of my surface interval and then when I dive again that day - it will automatically adjust allowable bottom time/etc? Is that correct.
So if I do three dives - that third dive will be based on 1st + surface + 2nd + surface...
Use the computer and your tables. Compare at the end of each dive. If you do multi-level dives, obviously there will be a difference due to the credits the computer will give and the tables won't. It will give you a fairly good idea of how the computer actually compares, and if you have doubts or concerns, you have the tables as your backup for planning.
Wow. I can't even say that about electricity!
I work with electronics and electricity. Believe me when I say, you ain't ALONE.:wink:

Just one other comment. I re-read my computer manual every spring before I begin the dive season. Been doing that for five years now and always learn a little something more about it's operation and display. You are spot on in your inferences about its operation.

Mark

My apologies for such a silly question - but I'm always of the belief that better to ask than assume...

Sometimes the manuals aren't very helpful. Once I had a pedometer that required that I enter the length of my stride in fractions of a mile.... How dumb is that? I had to enter 0.001136 miles....

The short answer to your questions is... yes.

Assuming that you entered the correct gas (air versus Nitrox).

Remember that your computer is measuring only depth and time, and then it is making calculations based on an algorithm. It is not measuring your actual nitrogen or oxygen loads, it is only making a calculation.

What aquaregia said. Other than that, the two computers I use, one a wrist and one on the SPG hose, both being foreign-made, the owner manuals which came with them were written by someone who wasn't particularly proficient in the writing of the English language. Luckily, I usually remember something once I am sure that I have figured it out. Re-reading the manual usually doesn't help much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom