$20 island bus tour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Or so I hear on FB. Buy tickets at La Cagua Maria on Melgar between 2nd & 4th street and start there. Hop off and back on at any listed stop - notice, no Punta Sur. I do not know how often buses will pass by. This is the guy who started the story: https://www.facebook.com/igb89

upload_2016-9-18_14-11-25.jpeg

I can't edit this into the first post, so here...

upload_2016-9-18_14-26-58.jpeg

I can't imagine this is possible on Cozumel as it makes WAY TOO MUCH SENSE. Taxi Mafia would have that bus (or busses) on 4 flats in no time. If I'm wrong, sign me up as this would be the greatest steal to ever be had on the island!

I would rather pay $10 more and rent a VW from Isis, but it's an option.

I am guessing because there is a designated "Meeting Point" (and assumed same "drop off" point) that this highly sensible idea is trying to skirt the Taxi Mafia and classify itself as a tour operation and not a taxi or bus service. Looks like someone is stirring a pot in Coz they will probably regret in short order.

I would rather pay $10 more and rent a VW from Isis, but it's an option.

Not if I plan on drinking. I am not familiar with the other side of the island--never had time on previous trips to explore outside of town--but it appears to be populated with bars. Am I correct?

Not if I plan on drinking. I am not familiar with the other side of the island--never had time on previous trips to explore outside of town--but it appears to be populated with bars. Am I correct?
There are several. I've driven it a couple of times just to look. I had ONE beer the first time, none thereafter. I turned in the car before closing time last trip so I wouldn't have to keep it overnight, then rode back to Play San Martin on the turtle rescue truck for digs. Several drove over to meet us about halfway thru my trip just to watch a release of a couple of nests. The bus would not work for that as they had to follow us from the meeting point to the nest a mile or more away.

I am guessing because there is a designated "Meeting Point" (and assumed same "drop off" point) that this highly sensible idea is trying to skirt the Taxi Mafia and classify itself as a tour operation and not a taxi or bus service. Looks like someone is stirring a pot in Coz they will probably regret in short order.
I have not seen any photos of the bus.

I wouldn't call it populated with bars, exactly. The coast road runs about 10 miles from Mescalito's to Rasta's, and in that stretch there are Mescalito's, Senor Iguana's, Punta Morena, Coconuts, Playa Bonita (if it hasn't fallen into the sea yet), what used to be Andele, and the two Rasta's bars. It's mostly undeveloped; the grid doesn't go over there, so the only electricity is batteries and a little solar power.

You can also get liquored-up on the east side at the two bars at Chen Rio (Chen Rio and El Pescador), Ventanas al Mar (next door to Coconuts), the bar that used to be called the "Liquor Stop" (don't know its new name now), Cala (just north of Mirador), Rancho Buena Vista, and Papitos and the other "nameless" beach bar in the Punta Sur park. That makes 15. Sixteen, if you count the beer sales at the Celarain lighthouse. There is also a private palapa bar next to Ventanas al Mar and another near Papitos that only serve tours. Andale is now San Martin.

Chen Rio, yes; I forgot about that one. Still, the east side is mostly undeveloped, and I, for one, hope it stays that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom