20 year shelf life for Aluminum dive cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a set of aluminum tanks from 1984 and after 28 years they are still going strong! Now one day I will put them to pasture after a good long life...heres to 30 years LOL!
Shops for some reason have gotten into the BAD habit of thinking since something is old that you need a new one cause it will blow up on them..er you.
The LUXFER exploding tanks have given older tanks this bad mojo, but aside from the Tank that failed in 1998 how many have we really found out about? Just one that I have read about, but saying that I do know tanks do fail and some tanks get a harder life than others so they fail inspection well before their time.

This is from a SB post from 2006.

DA Aquamaster
April 29th, 2006, 12:09 AM
No offense...but that tragedy happened over 8 years ago and there have been no...I repeat...no explosions of 6351 alloy tanks due to sustained load cracking issues that have been properly inspected under the new visual plus inspection protocols.

Let's stick with the facts rather than rehashing old incidents or promoting websites from persons with axes to grind or new tanks to sell.

The facts are:

1. Aluminum tanks made from 6351T-6 alloy are prone to sustained load cracking.

2. All Walter Kidde tanks were made from this alloy

3. As were Luxfer Al 80s tanks made before June 1988 (and other Luxfer tanks of different sizes until a few months before or after that date depending on tank size.)

4. Catalina tanks were never made form 6351 alloy regardless of age.

5. 6351-T6 alloy tanks require a visual plus or equivalent inspection at least every 18 months , which in the scuba industry means at every VIP - a shorter 12 month interval.

6. No... I repeat... NO...properly inspected 6351 alloy tank has failed since these protocols were adopted.

7. Our local dive shop/hydro test facility does thousands of alumium cylinders a year and it's not uncommom each month for a 6351-T6 alloy tank or two to fail either a hydro test or the visual plus inspection done after the test. The vast majority of these are medical O2 cylinders (which are very numerous and heavily used) or SCBA cylinders (which are heavily used and often abused). As an aside, SCBA cylinders in particular seem to be more suspectible if owned by departments that routinely hot fill them in well under a minute.

The point is the current inspection protocol requires inspections at intervals far shorter than the interval required for a non existant or present but non detectable (by current visual plus methods) crack to propogate to the point of failure - even in heavily used and abused SCBA cylinders.

So in short there is absolutely nothing wrong with using a properly inspected Walter Kidde tank or a pre June 88 Luxfer AL80 - especially if it has a fresh hydro. And there is no reason what so ever to not hydro or visual plus inspect one.

In fact, Walter Kidde tanks demonstrate less expansion during hydro test than other Catalina or Luxfer AL 80 tanks and have generally heavier wall and shoulder construction. Consequently if I had to choose between a pre-89 Luxfer and a Walter Kidde, I'd take the WK anytime. I learned to dive with Walter Kidde tanks in 1985 when our college dive club bought a few pallets of them in partnership with a local instructor and I got to watch a batch of these same heavily used tanks get their 4th hydro test as well as Visual plus inpsections last fall with no issues at all.

Unfortunately because of hysteria, old information, ignorance of the effectiveness of current inspection protocols and, quite frankly, dive shops creating a potential market for new tanks by falsely condemning 6351 tanks in the name of safety, it is often hard in some areas to get a fill for any tank older than 1989 or so, whether it is a Walter Kidde, Luxfer or Catalina (which again has always used 6061-T6 alloy in it's tanks and never used 6351-T6 alloy at all, making SLC a non problem).

My thought is keep the Walter Kidde and find a better informed and/or more honest LDS. If they are ignorant or dishonest regarding tanks, it begs the question of what other areas of diving expertise or equipment may suffer from a similar ignorance or lack of character.

I have heard this and many dirivitives many times. To any rumour however there is a basis of truth.
This is what i know/ believe. AT one time there was bad alloy used in al tanks that was assosciated with al tank failures. As of a certain date that alloy was not used any more. Lets say that date was 1980 (for arguments sake). Let us also say that in year 2000 regualtions were adopted to include any tanks older than the asumed 1980, that could possibly be made of the less than dependsble alloy now have extra precautions attached associated with testing inspection and filling. At that time the birth of tanks older than 20 years came to be. Here we are 2012 and many still quote the 20 yr old as if it still were 2000. Now with that in place. Shop tank monkeys have to make an inspection of the tank markings, daaaa.. and do the math....and the shop owner has decided that regardless of manufacture or markings his shop will not deal with tanks made before ie 1980, or are 20 years or older. no consequences of poor inspections, no incidents no liability no interpretation, no litigation. You can find on the web shops that will not deal with tanks older than ie 1980 others that quote 20 yr. Heck it is thier shop and thier insurance. That attitude leads to all solrts of sale tactics or rental tactics and other scamming. I would find out the actual date information and the accurate progression that I illuded to and locate a shop that knows what they are doing. There are multitudes out there. This issue is the main reason i bought steel tanks. With out doing looking there may be other regs relating to 20 yrs or older. dont know off hand, but if so the ultra conservative position of many shops still prevails. Believe it or not shere ar still those who believe that no more than one hydro may be done limiting a tank life to 10 years. GO FIGURE...

Even if it were true, which it's not, 20 year service for a thing that cost 130-150 dollars is pretty good, wouldn't you say?

We toss out a two hundred dollar Ipod or CD player if it breaks after only a few years. We consider our $800 dollar laptop obsolete in 4-5 years.... I could go on and on, however, I shant. :)

We piss and moan if we can't fix a 25 dollar inflator with a dollars worth of O-rings. Yet we spend more than that for wiper blades twice a year. OK, I did go on a little more. :D

And don't be shopping for that stuff on Craig's list. That's what I do! You're horking my bargains. LOL

I am "relatively" new to the diving scene, only diving for 3 years. I recently bought 4 aluminum tanks that were made in 95' and 94' that were only used for one year given that the VIP sticker on the tank was from 95'. I sent them to a dive shop to get Hydro and VIP inspected, and they passed. At the dive shop, trying to make small talk, I asked the owner a few questions about aluminum tanks etc. one of the questions was about steal tanks vs. aluminum tanks. The owner brought up that aluminum tanks only have a 20 year shelf life regardless of how little or how much use it has. so I asked him this "so if the year was 2020 and I brought tanks that were from 2000, would I be able to get them hydro inspected?" he replied "no, and most dive shops would not even fill it." his reasoning is that 20 years is an arbitrary number that the people who hydro it chose saying that the tank has expanded and contracted enough times that the metal has fatigued. Even though the reason seems sound, I would like to know how true this is?

Thank you sincerely Ramo

Even if it were true, which it's not, 20 year service for a thing that cost 130-150 dollars is pretty good, wouldn't you say?

Not if I just bought it last week on Craigslist. :wink:

I have 2 AL80 tanks made prior to 1990 and get them filled without questions....
they also fill my 4 steel tanks with no questions (1959, 1968, 1973 and 1978)
Some shops will fill them, some wont...

Thanks for replying so swift and prompt guys.

The dive shop that I went to I assumed was a highly regarded one since they were a tech shop and do all types of cert classes. Since this was my first time hearing about it I contacted a few other dive shops and asked them as well; it was the first that they heard of this subject as well, so i tried to do a bit of research myself, and could not find anything so I tried here. As for the dive shop that I heard this from, It was the owner who told me this. so I assumed there would be some truth to it, but every single source besides him never once told me this so thank you all once again.

From what I've been hearing from some dive professionals who work at the dive shops in my area... not all the owners of dive shops are actual dive professionals. I know this sounds extremely strange, but you don't have to be a dive professional to own a small business.

Sounds like everyone on the board is giving really good advice, glad Scubaboard can help! :)

Stella, our Santa Rosa Dive shak owner has a bunch of tanks made of the 6351T-6 Alum. She now has to have an Eddie Current hydro, and that's what she does, in ABQ or Denver! A bit of a pain but her tank income and overhead is on the low side and replacing 20 tanks is cost prohibitive. Her tanks are safe and that is what counts.

Alright, I guess the next step is to talk to the owner one more time before I bring the red flag on his shop. This board was very helpful and I am glad that a community of Scuba Divers like you all were here to answer the questions and concerns that I had. When I am done confronting the owner, i will definitely post it here first.

Thanks again Ramo

Steal tanks are always going to be cheaper. Unless you're caught...
03.gif

HA!!

I was about to open a new tab and check tank prices.. You got me!

Back
Top Bottom