Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Veitch was the chef when I was on the Tahiti Aggressor. That was much more hazardous than anything that happened in the water ... I quoted him in my book when he said, "Let the Frenchies do the shark feeding!"

If the island is Malpelo, just forget about surviving. You can't even get on to the island, unless you are Peter Morse & being found on the next day. The guards raised the rope ladder, unless they need to use it or being told that a visitor is coming. This still doesn't make any sense to me. Are they afraid of being attack by the Chinese shark finners or pirates?

only because the metal structure supporting the rope ladder is unsure (too old)... but they don't like to acknowledge it...

Ken, you have a good point. I put it inside an old underwater camera case

It's definitely time I bought a PLB too, thanks for the reminder!

The new half-sized Nautilus lifeline is still pretty chunky and has no radio, but it's good for 130m/425ft ;
Nautilus LifeLine GPS

Edit - saw Dan T's thread on the nautilus from sept 21st, good read ta! I just pre-ordered one from Nautilus, if I start shopping around and reading reviews I'll just end up not buying one - that's why I still don't have a CO analyzer... :(

Last edited:
Scuba diver's Personal Locator Beacon - how never to be lost at sea

The issue that made me shy away from the new Nautilus Lifeline (NL) was the 1 watt transmission power, especially after reading seeker242 post # 194 (p.20 of link above). He said "I work on AIS systems for a living. It's not sufficient. Not to go 34 miles to another boat. A standard AIS, which transmits at 12 watts, can sometimes only be picked up to 10 miles max. 1w would not be nearly as good!" and where I'll be using it (in Indonesia), where often they have old radio without AIS system and may not even listen to it. That situation would make having NL is close to useless. So, I ended up asking for a refund of my preordered NL.

If you plan to use NL in USA or Canada, it may be OK. Most boats have AIS integrated with VHF transceiver with a positioning system such as a GPS is a standard boat communication device.

In my case, if I'm lost at sea in Indonesia, floating more than an hour and no boat is visible in the horizon, or my liveaboard hits a reef and starts to sink, I might as well launch the 5 watt 406 MHz SOS signal directly to the SAR satellites. Let NOAA alert US Navy & BaSARnas (Indonesian SAR agency) to search and rescue the US asset (me), rather than launching SOS signal from NL and "hoping" the weak 1 watt VHF SOS signal be heard by some boats that "may" have AIS integrated VHF transceiver and they "happen" to listen to channel 16.

Last edited:
The issue that made me shy away from the new Nautilus Lifeline (NL) ...

Thanks sooo much for that detail, keep thinking "they wouldn't make it if it wasn't the best of the best" but if their focus was small they're gonna compromise. I'll do more homework - I live in Wellington, New Zealand, on the shore of Cook's Strait which has some pretty mean currents if you drift off, but also some serious swell sometimes so I should really do my homework - might just get the biggie. Thank you!!

I got mine on amazon as a Body Glove lifeline. It should arrive in a few days, the reviews say all the documentation in the box is Nautilus Life Line, it just has a body glove sticker on the top. Also in this topic someone writes that Nautilus is going to come out with another vhf/gps sometime.... If I had known I prob would have waited...I suspect it will be smaller than the original.

Scuba diver's Personal Locator Beacon - how never to be lost at sea

IMG_4402.JPG
https://www.amazon.com/Body-Glove-Lifeline-Handheld-Radio/dp/B00BF9Y0U6

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom