4 hours layover in GC on way to Brac Suggestios?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The temporary restaurant outdoors DEFINITELY serves drinks. I can attest from personal experience the last two years on the way back and forth to the Brac. We have also hired a cab to tour the island and rented a car to go see the botanical garden during the layover. Seeing Georgetown and Seven Mile Beach convinced us we had made the right choice to go the Brac and Little Cayman. The botanical garden is pretty interesting. It is really more than just a garden. Going to Sunset House for lunch and drinks is always an option, too.

Diving JD- great idea- did you rent the car directly from the airport location in GC? That would solve a lot of problems, ie; our carry on stuff can go in the trunk while we explore.

scuba@inetmagic.com:
I have the option of a 4.5 hour layover on GC on my way to Brac. Does anybody think that would be worth it and what should or could I see in that time? I have never been to GC before, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ah............go to Hell.........lol.........

Susan6868:

I walked to the rental agency office across the street from the airport. It was early in the morning (first flight over from the Brac) and I went to the first place that opened. I don't even remember which one. We had four people in our party and no place to put luggage, so we rented a Ford Expedition, which handled all of the baggage. It was not cheap, but it was a solution. Split between two couples, it wasn't bad. Our layover was more like 8 hours, so we would have gone nuts if we hadn't been able to go someplace. We went to breakfast, went to the botanical gardens, went to lunch and still made it back in plenty of time.

diver 85:
Ah............go to Hell.........lol.........

Thanks Don, great idea. I've got two teenagers and Diver85 to entertain. Hell? You don't know the half of it...........................(lol, just kidding Joe!):cheers:

UPDATE: the temporary restaurant at the GC airport has now disappeared (literally - there is just bare ground where it used to be) and the Hungry Horse has reopened upstairs. Intensive investigation reveals that they do serve alcohol there. Not sure I'd want to spend 4.5 hours there though.

if I were you I'd stock up on tortuga rum cake - in the coffee flavor. their store is in Georgetown on the road that leads north to 7 mile beach, but they're pretty easy to find in the caymans. you'll probably be able to sample it in the airport shop and see that I'm right...but watch out, too many can weigh down your dive bag:crafty:

lizardqueen:
if I were you I'd stock up on tortuga rum cake - in the coffee flavor. their store is in Georgetown on the road that leads north to 7 mile beach, but they're pretty easy to find in the caymans. you'll probably be able to sample it in the airport shop and see that I'm right...but watch out, too many can weigh down your dive bag:crafty:

Been there done that, and the weight of my dive bag wasn't affected nearly as much as my rear end..........................:rofl3:

(Why, why is everything that is unbelievably good proportionately bad for you????)

Love the rum cake, hate needing a bigger wetsuit..............:shakehead:

Susan, I practically collapsed carrying my dive bag up my stairs on the way back from cayman, it weighed so much more than usual with the 3 large rum cakes. but I'm sure my ****, as they say in the british protectorates, benefitted greatly from the struggle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom