4 weeks till Australia...anything I need to know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cstreu1026:
We will be staying in Cairns at Rydges Tradewinds. It use to have use to have another name but I can't seem to find it now.

We stayed at the Tradewinds on our two trips to Australia, our second trip was just for two nights, on our way to PNG back out to Hawaii. One nice thing about Australia is that they speak english and like Americans, The bus system is quite easy to use and you can get by without a car. We took the transit bus to Palm Cove for an afternoon of relaxing on the beach.

How was the hotel. The pictures I have seen online make it look really nice and the reviews I have read are favorable as well.

cstreu1026:
How was the hotel. The pictures I have seen online make it look really nice and the reviews I have read are favorable as well.

The hotel is nice, I would stay again. The downtown is easily accesible with a short walk. There are plenty of restaurants to eat on the Esplanade, I did have one meal at the Tradewinds and thought the food was better downtown. The pool is nice.

goodeatsfan:
I've spent lots of time in a rainforest. It's waaaaaaaaaaaaay over-rated. bring mosquito repellant is all I can say. BUT that said, I wish I were in your shoes! AH! to be right at the gateway to the GBR.... so envious!

Agreed, the rainforest blows. The trails I listed aren't rainforest. Also, don't bring your own mosquito repellant. They sell a gel here that is 80% deet. That is what you need.

forget deet (or psssss-off i was once told to call it)... vegemite does a great job, so just dab a bit on the mozzie bites and bobs your uncle!

LSL

...and don't forget to pack;
Thongs (The kind you wear on your feet)
Black Singlet (Dark blue is acceptable)
Short Shorts (None of them short longs or long shorts)
Footy Jumper (For late at night when the temperature drops below 35 celcius)
Stubbie Holder
Couple of cartons of beer
Bottle of Bundy (For the formal evenings...Footy Jumper is essential here as well)
Fair Dinky Di Akubra hat (Substitutes will be ridiculed)
...anything I've missed almity?

:lol:

you forget to tell him to wear his volleys but l if he wanted to TRY to be an aussie, he should do his best to score a stubbie holder from one of the many fine & exclusive establishments he would be going to during his stay here

pssst azza - do you think he would understand "your shout for beer"

almitywife:
forget deet (or psssss-off i was once told to call it)... vegemite does a great job, so just dab a bit on the mozzie bites and bobs your uncle!

LSL

Ah! but if you have to dab it on the mozzie bite, it means you've already been bitten. The point of repellents are to prevent bites in the 1st place. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom