4 weeks till Australia...anything I need to know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Azza:
...and don't forget to pack;
Thongs (The kind you wear on your feet)
Black Singlet (Dark blue is acceptable)
Short Shorts (None of them short longs or long shorts)
Footy Jumper (For late at night when the temperature drops below 35 celcius)
Stubbie Holder
Couple of cartons of beer
Bottle of Bundy (For the formal evenings...Footy Jumper is essential here as well)
Fair Dinky Di Akubra hat (Substitutes will be ridiculed)
...anything I've missed almity?
I thought they spoke english over there. :D

Just a thought, what are the dive conditions usually like in November? I am pretty sure temps should be in the upper 70's, but what should we expect in the way of viz, currents, etc.

Ok, so what's a singlet?... and a footy jumper? ...and I assume a chilly bin is the same thing as an eskie?
I thought I picked up most of the expressions when I was there, but I obviously have much to learn before I return! :wink:

almitywife:
:lol:

you forget to tell him to wear his volleys but l if he wanted to TRY to be an aussie, he should do his best to score a stubbie holder from one of the many fine & exclusive establishments he would be going to during his stay here

pssst azza - do you think he would understand "your shout for beer"
:rofl3:
Well Almity I was worried his beer would get warm before he arrived at one of the Hotels...(BTW they are all called either the Imperial, Tatersalls, Railway hotel, or the Royal).
DiverDebbie:
Ok, so what's a singlet?... and a footy jumper? ...and I assume a chilly bin is the same thing as an eskie?
A singlet is a (usually black) T-Shirt kinda thing with no sleeves and exposes the shoulders so all the fair dinkum lads can show of their new "you beaut" tattoos.
A Footy Jumper is a Rugby Jersey that comes in three different styles...Rugby Union, Rugby League and Australian Football League. A chilly bin, otherwise known as a Cholly Bon, is indeed an eskie although it's a kiwi phrase and not an Australian one.
cstreu1026:
I thought they spoke english over there. :D
They sorta do but it aint the Queens English we speak over here in NZ.

Azza:
:rofl3:
Well Almity I was worried his beer would get warm before he arrived at one of the Hotels...(BTW they are all called either the Imperial, Tatersalls, Railway hotel, or the Royal).

A singlet is a (usually black) T-Shirt kinda thing with no sleeves and exposes the shoulders so all the fair dinkum lads can show of their new "you beaut" tattoos.
A Footy Jumper is a Rugby Jersey that comes in three different styles...Rugby Union, Rugby League and Australian Football League. A chilly bin, otherwise known as a Cholly Bon, is indeed an eskie although it's a kiwi phrase and not an Australian one.
They sorta do but it aint the Queens English we speak over here in NZ.
A good friend of mine is from New Zealand and I know to take any advise, from a kiwi, about australia with a grain of salt. :eyebrow:

cstreu1026:
A good friend of mine is from New Zealand and I know to take any advise, from a kiwi, about australia with a grain of salt. :eyebrow:
Hey...I resemble that comment:D

Seriously though you will love the place. Even tho they speak a form of english it is a totally different culture. Aussies are good sports and have a good sense of humour

Thanks for the clarification Azza. I'll be sure to add those to my big book of Aussie phrases. :wink:

Although I can't speak for NZ, as I haven't been yet, I certainly second your comments about Aus. It is a bit of a different culture, yes, but not really so far off that of Canada... once you decipher the language :wink: Fabulous diving and everything else to do and see aside, the people are truly what make a trip to Australia unique. He will have a great time :) I'm envious.

DiverDebbie:
Fabulous diving and everything else to do and see aside, the people are truly what make a trip to Australia unique. He will have a great time :) I'm envious.
If it's any consolation I am going to Aus in 2 weeks also:D

dont worry Debbie - we'll round him and his mates up and deport them as soon as all the beer is finished

Back
Top Bottom