5-6 day US dive vacation choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds sweet! What resort or dive op do you go through in Playa

I've used several throughout my trips in Playa. Most are pretty good. Stay away from the resort shops. They tend to crowd the boat and they don't do any of the interesting dives. Usually the closest shallow reef.

I also stay away from some of the bigger dive shops. On my last trip (Nov 08), we used GeoFish and I have to say that was by far the best experience I have had in Mexico with a dive shop. American owned and run. Family business. 2 Adult sons and dad. Really great dive and boat staff. We were catered to every step of the way.

GeoFish organized our local, cenote and cozumel diving for us.

Have a great trip!

If money is not an issue, Kona Hawaii. Tighter budget, Florida Keys. Even tighter money crunch, Monterey -two days, Channel Islands two days. Real tight money, Catalina mid week dates, combination of Dive Park and a few boat dives.

Florida, a great eclectic selection of dives, cheap and easy to get to, and it happens to have my all time favorite dive site in it, Blue Heron Bridge.

Well, if budget is a big consideration, then somewhere you can shore dive and do a lot of good sites is a good choice. The Seattle area has that, if you are here when the tides are favorable. Maui has a lot of very easy shore diving, if the weather cooperates. Monterey has some beautiful diving, but the sites accessible from shore are limited in number. If you're willing to spring for a couple of boat trips, it gives you more options.

For me, a five day trip would be Monterey or SoCal . . . But you're already there!

What JohnB said. Also, Ft. Lauderdale airport is a lot easier to get around and the cars are much cheaper there. It's only 20 miles north of Miami. Go to Payless or EZ car rentals and look at what you can rent a car for right now. I have one reserved for $17 a day for the 14th thru 17th and if you buy the gas from them it's about $1.60 a gallon. Try to beat that in Miami. There are lots of dive operators in Key Largo, Tavernier and Islamorada, all charging about the same for two dives (usually $70). Plus there are dozens of reefs, both deep and shallow, along with wrecks like the Speigle Grove, Duane and Bibb and more. You can get a room from $60-80 with no problems. It's a no-brainer to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom