5 weeks diving in Philippines - list of spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup, another vote for Verde! Definetly worth the $$...:coffee:

It's also bloody marvelous, and for what? An additional $20 for the day's trip and 2 dives?

Sorry, mate. Another vote for Verde here.

I appreciate all the help, any particular recommendations for top class dive operations in these places??? (Looking for good personal experience from people that I can't get from a lonely planet!!!)

Also starting to get worried about everywhere being booked up as I'll be visiting in the last 2 weeks in December and all of January yet haven't booked anything...

I appreciate all the help, any particular recommendations for top class dive operations in these places??? (Looking for good personal experience from people that I can't get from a lonely planet!!!)

Also starting to get worried about everywhere being booked up as I'll be visiting in the last 2 weeks in December and all of January yet haven't booked anything...

Too late, might as well cancel the whole thing.:wink: Just kidding. You are definitely visiting in high season which I don't have experience in and try to avoid. So in some cases you will be spending more than other times.

It would help if you gave up some info such as:
  • what kind of diving you want to do.
  • what kind of sea life you are interested in.
  • dive experience.
  • traveling in a group or alone.
  • $ willing to spend on lodging or diving etc.

Ok well - I'll be travelling alone, have about 30 dives under my belt - just bought a shiny new UW camera setup (DX-2G) and want to shoot some good pics...I am going to Indonesia for 2 months before the Philippines.
I want to do the best diving in the country - like all sea life!!!
Don't have a crazy budget but willing to spend the money on dives primarily and stay in cheap accommodation (cheap not disgusting).

I wish i have 30 days to spend in the country every year!!!
1. Banaue Rice Terrace is miles away from most diving spots except La Union which is not very interesting except for the M10 tanks.
2. The wrecks in Coron are great but USS New York in Subic Bay is my favourite.
3. Flight to Coron has limited allowance on checked in luggage. Super ferry is another option but 15hrs journey!!!
4. I would not spend too much time in El Nido.
5. Under water river in Sabang(Palawan) and then fly from Puerto Princesa to Cebu.
6. You are spoiled with choices for diving in Visayas: Bohol, Dumaguette(Apo island), Malapascua, Moalboal, Sogod Bay(Leyte) just to names a few.
7. Camiguin Island is for outdoor enthusiast albeit the diving there is quite ordinary.
8. Cebu to Manila and if time allowed then Anilao and Puerto Galera.
9. You might regret on allocating two months in Indonesia!!!!!

Visa first - assuming you are a UK citizen? No need for a visa. It is one of those 'visa on a rrival things' (not that it is called that). Just fill in the two forms given to you on the plane (imigration and customs) or picked up at arrivals, join the loooooooooong queue (unless arriving at 4 am to T3), hand it to the immigration guy and they just put a stamp in your passport. The standard entry is 21 days which can then be extended at a regional immigration office. Just look smart (no shorts or thongs) and it is processed in a few hours.

If you are going for a full 59 day visa ask your first hotel or dive centre for one, they should be able to oblige.

Diving: Good to see Borarcay mentioned here - it is not some of the greatest diving in the world but there is some good stuff here which is fun - and Yapak wall obviously has to be done as does the wreck (Japanese ship, name escapes me). Try Calypso Divers for a professional outfit

I think the costs someone mentioned for Verde Island were in refernce to staying on Verde which I would not recommend (not actually heard of anyone doing it although there is accomodation there). Small and Big La Laguna are good places to stay. You always get a Verde sur charge for fuel. In a Banka it is 50 mins or so, but Asia Divers (and at least one other outfit) have a couple of speed boats which gets it down to 15 - 20 mins - so you can do two Verde dives in the morning and then get a further two in during the afternon if you want. And good when it is raining at this time of year. There are 30 odd sites in this area so it is worth getting that fast trip in. Definately worth the extra fees and hopefully the water temp will have dropped a little so the bleaching will have reduced.

I found the attached article in a magazine on a liveaboard in Thailand in April - gives a good recommendation of how to do the trip to Coron by ferry.

HTH

Attachments

• IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0057.jpg
    IMG_0057.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 38
Visa first - assuming you are a UK citizen? No need for a visa. It is one of those 'visa on a rrival things' (not that it is called that). Just fill in the two forms given to you on the plane (imigration and customs) or picked up at arrivals, join the loooooooooong queue (unless arriving at 4 am to T3), hand it to the immigration guy and they just put a stamp in your passport. The standard entry is 21 days which can then be extended at a regional immigration office. Just look smart (no shorts or thongs) and it is processed in a few hours.

I don't know about other regional offices, but my experience in the Subic Bay and Puerto Princesa offices is that it takes literally 15 minutes to extend the visa.

In contrast, the main immigration office in Manila (at Intra-Muros) can take all-day. Avoid renewing your visa in Manila at all costs! lol

It costs about 3,500 pesos to extend your visa from the initial 21 day to 2 months. If you stay longer, you can continue renewing your visa every 60 days for the same cost.

Got my 59 day visa sorted now so no worries about that...

I think my plan now is: -

Fly into Manila - down to anilao/verde island for diving

Back to Manila to fly to Coron, ferry to El Nido (Bacuit Archipeligo)

Fly from Puerto Princessa to Cebu for diving in the Visayas

Fly Cebu - Manila

Donsol for whale sharks

Manila - Banaue/Batad for Rice Terraces

Finished...

Also I want to spend New Years somewhere quiet...I think I'll end up in Coron for this!

I will try to arrange all those domestic flights asap.
For one airline to Coron if the combined body weight + all the luggage is over 100kg....you have to buy two tickets !!! Can anyone confirm this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom