5mm or 7mm....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vlane

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys i'm looking to get my first wetsuit and i just want to get some of your opinions or tips. I plan on diving mostly lakes and live in Arkansas so water temp varies. I want a wetsuit that i can dive with in the early spring and late summer but not looking to go dry suit just yet. The water temps i want to try and dive will prob be from 50-80 F, but prob stay in the 60-70 F range with the thermocline.

Now comes the dilemma, 5mm or 7mm? I don't tend to get cold on the surface very easily but i'm a skinny guy so it doesn't take me too long to get cold in the water. I'm kind of leaning towards 7mm, but i don't know if i would get hot wearing something that thick in water that's in the 70'. So, here's where you guys come in, what you think? Also, any wetsuit suggestions are more than welcome but kind of on a budget (i know you get what you pay for though).

Aloha! I would recommend going w/the 7mm. Much better to be a bit too warm (just flood your suit) than too cold and have to purchase another suit. Based on the water temps you gave and the little bit of info on you, a 7mm should work just perfectly. In fact, I don't think you'll have a problem with getting too warm. I wear a 7mm in Hawaii with avg. water temps in the low 70's (I'm usually in the water a lot!!!) and have yet to get too warm.

For a budget-minded purchase, you might look at Henderson and Cressi. The Cressi suits seem to be much better quality but a bit more than the Henderson - but still not as much as some of the other brands. I've dove w/Aqualung ($$$), Xcel ($$$), Henderson ($) and Cressi ($$) 7mm suits and for the price, the Henderson held up fairly well but the Cressi seems to be performing even better.

Good luck!

I agree with aascubagirl. A 7mm should be fine for the water temps you have mentioned. I tend to get a little cold so if I am in water in the low 70s then I am definitely in a 7mm. It is much easier to cool down than to warm up. If you continue to dive in cold waters then a dry suit is certainly in your future. As far as wet suits go, I have used a Bare and a Pinnacle. I must admit that I think Pinnacle is about the best suit on the market. I have never been warmer in a wet suit and the flexibility I get with a 7 mm Pinnacle is the same as I get with a 3 or 5 mm. Very easy to move in and does not feel bulky in the water. It's not the cheapest on the market, but I think it pays for itself in personal comfort and endurance. Why but two average suits that may not last long when you can buy 1 very good suit that may be your only suit before you give in and buy a dry suit?

I am slender and dive both a Pinnacle 3 mil and a Pinnacle 7mil and am comfortable with variations from Caribbean warmth to 60 degrees with these two suits. I would definitely get the 7 mil for cooler water. I also own a 5mil and no longer use this suit.

All great suggestions thanks. Pinnacle definitely looks like a good suit but they are pricey. Leisurepro has a deal here that doesn't seem too bad that's about $150 more than i was thinking about spending. Also, do you guys suggest the stretch or hyper-stretch suits or stay away from them?

If you are gonna go with the 7m i would opt for the hyper stretch material. Will make life much better when puting the suit on:wink:

The stretchy materials permit a tighter fit (that's a good thing) but compress faster and are not as warm (that's a bad thing). I only buy suits made of Rubatex GN-231N, the warmest rubber, by far, the least compressible rubber by far, and if yoo get a suit with no nylon on it, the most flexible. If you have to have a material bonded to the neoprene (sewn seams require it and do hold up better) get 4-way stretch lycra on the outside only.

5 mm (1/4 inch) vs. 7 mm (3/8 inch) can make quite a difference, and there hangs another tale.

The stretchy materials permit a tighter fit (that's a good thing) but compress faster and are not as warm (that's a bad thing). I only buy suits made of Rubatex GN-231N, the warmest rubber, by far, the least compressible rubber by far, and if yoo get a suit with no nylon on it, the most flexible. If you have to have a material bonded to the neoprene (sewn seams require it and do hold up better) get 4-way stretch lycra on the outside only.
I'm a newbie so that sounds pretty confusing. Can you show a wetsuit, or two, that are examples of this?

Thanks for all your help so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom