7.1 Earthquake 39 miles off Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like aftershocks, very interesting.

10-degree Map Centered at 20Ž°N,90Ž°W

Broaden your parameters a bit and see a bigger picture about May 28 and 29 on both coasts. Interesting. Not just one big one and not just one fault, seven in all in a week (one on May 23), three off the west coast, three N of the islands and one SE of La Ceiba on the mainland. Almost seems like the whole CA plate is shifting a bit.

Thanks for the reports from CCV about changes to the reef close to them. Steve, any reports on the reef around Utila? Marco, what have you guys seen?

This reminds me a bit of when the Speigle Grove rolled upright during Dennis. Like it or not, our wonderful UW world is always changing.

Oops, already outdated...add one more north of the islands this morning.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the reports........Any way of getting some stills & video going of these sights??.......Would really appreciate seeing some---esp Mary's Place(if it's different) and the north side ie Half Moon Bay Wall on around thru 7 Sponges cut......

I agree with you, it is evolution and fascinating, but it also brings up in me all those emotions! I would like to be there right now too, but .... I am sure those there NOW are feeling very nervous and anxious. So I have very mixed feelings about it.
Having seen the destruction of the reefs of Cozumel from that ugly hurricane, I am crossing my fingers for Roatan! Tourism will die off, much like it did in Coz, with reports of massive reef destruction.
I am waiting and hoping to hear some good news.

This will do more damage to the reef system than a hurricane......Roatan went thru Mitch & we dove it a few weeks later, son was in the water 24 hours after it left out...It was a little different post Mitch but this will be more apparent, IMO.....

Last edited:
We just got back from AKR - they took us out to a site near "Mary's Place" about 6 hours after the earthquake.

I think almost every one of these purple colored coral formations I drifted past seemed have fallen over. Really sad :(

Attached...

Attachments

• brokencoral.jpg
    brokencoral.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 113
We just got back from AKR - they took us out to a site near "Mary's Place" about 6 hours after the earthquake.

I think almost every one of these purple colored coral formations I drifted past seemed have fallen over. Really sad :(

Attached...

Thanks for the info, any more pics & did Antonio take any video yet of this 'stuff'??.I'm guessing they have their photoshop guys in the water filming already......

EDIT: to sdevine, hard to see from pic, but is that a barrel sponge broken & 'tipped' over from it's base???....tia....any more stills or even video??--if so, let's see 'em.......

Yes, they all seemed to have broken at their base and tipped over.

Some more photos, sorry they aren't very good - you'll have to copy and paste this url, since I am new to scuba board I can't post one for some reason (spam protection I guess?)

picasaweb.google.com/sdevine01/BrokenSponges?feat=directlink

If you click download, you should be able to grab the original 6 megapixel image.

- Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't had internet access at home for a couple of days, but that has nothing to do with the quake. I was awake at the time and having grown up in Florida, I wasn't sure what the hell was going on. The wooden house was shaking and shaking, the intensity of the shakes seemed to magnify. We finally walked outside the and it finally stopped. Nothing other than that happened.

The following morning we went diving. At Fish Den, close to the Gibson Bight channel there was a good bit of reef which seems to have broken off as a result of the earthquake. Today, diving from the Jolly Roger mooring over to Blue Channel several barrel sponges have been broken off. I saw four laying at about 120 feet.

On a different note, we dove at Tabyana's this morning. We came to three feet from a spottted eagle ray who was feeding and did not mind the company. We saw five turtles, a golden tail morray, a flamingo tounge, and a small nurse shark. Sweeeeet....

At the diveshop, where fins fall off the rack on a regular basis, all was intact. It's unbelievable. Then again we are pretty lucky.

That's it for now...

I haven't had internet access at home for a couple of days, but that has nothing to do with the quake. I was awake at the time and having grown up in Florida, I wasn't sure what the hell was going on. The wooden house was shaking and shaking, the intensity of the shakes seemed to magnify. We finally walked outside the and it finally stopped. Nothing other than that happened.

The following morning we went diving. At Fish Den, close to the Gibson Bight channel there was a good bit of reef which seems to have broken off as a result of the earthquake. Today, diving from the Jolly Roger mooring over to Blue Channel several barrel sponges have been broken off. I saw four laying at about 120 feet.

On a different note, we dove at Tabyana's this morning. We came to three feet from a spottted eagle ray who was feeding and did not mind the company. We saw five turtles, a golden tail morray, a flamingo tounge, and a small nurse shark. Sweeeeet....

At the diveshop, where fins fall off the rack on a regular basis, all was intact. It's unbelievable. Then again we are pretty lucky.

That's it for now...

Thanks for the info---wife & I sold our house last fall of 14 years @ Sundancer, Sandy Bay, & was wondering how everything turned out on the north side.....tia

Here's a video of the large slide damage at Cocoview wall I shot the day after the quake. The white area is where the wall used to be. Top of the crack is 65 feet, with is about 100 feet. It completely slid off the wall and we could still see the silt billowing from sliding coral power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0qCREcTCSQ

Here's some damage to Newmans wall where a cople of large blocks rolled off the wall by the channel buoy. If you look of to the right behind the diver you can see the block off in the distance that is a big as a full-sized van

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cCu4byf-pY

Last edited:
Thanks Jon, keep it coming.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom