82 deg to 55 deg, 100' down - not good

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recall a time 5 years ago or so when I was working on a Deep Air cert. I took the shore class, understood things well, and had been diving for 20 years (some of the others in my class had been students I had taught as an assistant Instructor!). I had zero wetsuit experience, and zero cold water experience. So I suited up in my 7mm suit, and got ready to go in with all my gear. But, I got overheated, then I had weighting problems (new wetsuit, and I needed about 18# lead, versus the 2# I use without a wetsuit). And I didn't feel good.

So, I got in, couldn't get down (floated like a cork!), was overworked, overheated, got frustrated, all that. So, in spite of the fact this was REALLY embarassing in front of the rest of the class, I said no, I can't dive today. My ego took a HUGE slap. But, I went back the next week, practiced in shallow water with a wetsuit, got my bouancy under control, weighted properly, and spent a few hours in shallow water getting used to (1) wetsuits, (2) THICK wetsuits, and (3) coldwater diving.

My point is that I had LOTS of experience, down to 130' or so, and 20 years cert. But, that day, it wasn't working, and so I swallowed my pride and told myself I need to get used to this type of diving, and do it on a day I felt like diving. Guess it worked, I'm still alive!

Sometimes, ya gotta do what ya gotta do to stay alive!

(oh, and I discovered that diving in a 7mm wetsuit, in 50 degree water, is NOT what I call fun, so I don't do that any more!

=Steve=
=Steve=

You know i witnessed a guy do exactly what you just were talking about this past weekend steve. This guy was a tropical diver with alot of experience. He decided to dive up here in the 50 - 60 degree water. He bought a new farmer john with like 7mil with 5 over it. He had never dove with more than like 3 mil. I saw him getting dressed sweating profusely. I asked him how much weight he had and he said 30lbs. I made a comment that it might now be enough. He didnt want to hear it. So off my bud and I went into the water. He struggled on the surface yelling at his son for the next hour or so in frustration. His pride was too much to quit. I new he wasnt getting down. I see your point. If you dont feel right QUIT AND LIVE TO DIVE ANOTHER DAY....STAY SAFE

Good points.

In fact you reminded me of something that I did that day at the quarry.

The hike is pretty good from the car/dive shop to the dive platform.

I carred my tank and my buddies.

Carried all my gear

Came back up and changed clothes

Forgot our weights, went back and got 40 lbs for us

Forgot goggles in car

Forgot battery for camera, back to car

So I made a bunch of trips wearing my wetsuit around my waist. Jogging pretty much the whole time to hurry things up. I remember being tired and anxious to get in the water to cool off. 3 minutes later it's 55 degrees and I'm at 90'. I bet that had a bunch to do with my breathing.

Thanks for the replies. Learned a lot. And by the way at 102' I didn't see a damn thing!

Ryan

You know there's nothing stopping you from taking a quick dip with your wetsuit on before you finish gearing up. Sometimes I do this on a warm day even if I'm not overheated, just to make sure I don't overheat during gear up. It's a great way to cool down and catch your breath.

Steve

rcasey once bubbled...
Good points.

In fact you reminded me of something that I did that day at the quarry.

The hike is pretty good from the car/dive shop to the dive platform.

I carred my tank and my buddies.

Carried all my gear

Came back up and changed clothes

Forgot our weights, went back and got 40 lbs for us

Forgot goggles in car

Forgot battery for camera, back to car

So I made a bunch of trips wearing my wetsuit around my waist. Jogging pretty much the whole time to hurry things up. I remember being tired and anxious to get in the water to cool off. 3 minutes later it's 55 degrees and I'm at 90'. I bet that had a bunch to do with my breathing.

Thanks for the replies. Learned a lot. And by the way at 102' I didn't see a damn thing!

Ryan

I would really be a bit upset with my buddy. With your level of training/experience and his level, he should have never taken you there in the first place.........And you should not have been there.

Now, your buddy training should have been that if you were having trouble to abort and ascend.......especially with your experience........but no.......you both kept going........deeper...........bad idea

As mentioned before by other posters, THOSE CLASSES ARE TAUGHT FOR A REASON AND THEIR NOT JUST FOR OTHER PEOPLE...........THERE FOR YOU IF YOU WANT TO DIVE AGAIN.

Don't push your luck again my friend

Dive Safe

Ryan said:
As far as the 100' depth, I think everyone can relate...we all want to reach the next plateau in the sport.

Wrong. I don't relate, and you shouldn't either. Who are you trying to impress? What are you trying to accomplish by achieving 100'?

On my first dive in Cozumel last June I was at 98'. I thought for one microsecond that if I dropped another two feet, I could log another 100' dive. But who would I be impressing? What value? It was stupid to even think about it for that microsecond. Do I dive to pad my log book? No.

I am glad that you survived, and I am glad that you have learned from your actions, but I pray that you dive mor esafely in the future, and that you stop trying to hit magic plateau's. If you really want to achieve some plateau, then dive more, become a better diver, maybe get more training, and live long enough to log a lot of dives.

And please pay close attention to the other posts here, because some of them include some really really good advice (especially nyresq).

*** stepping down off the soap box ***

Wristshot

Watching the computer, I soon realized that I was getting really low on air and I would have to perform a safety stop still.

You just realized then that you were getting low on air??? Didn't you check to see what you had before dropping down to 100ft? I check my air regularly so there are no surprises and I reassess my dive plan accordingly.

when low (onair) consider sharing with buddy

You shouldn't be low unless you've had a technical difficulty. You put your buddy at risk by running so low. What if buddy had an equipment failure and needed YOUR octo??

This is serious stuff here. Don't risk your life or your buddy's. Likewise don't let your buddy do so to you!

I'm glad you're okay and kudos for posting and taking the heat everyone is giving you.

Diverlady

I think you are misinterpreting the word plateau.

I second everything you stated above. What I mean by plateau is anything from making that 50th dive or a night dive, shark dive, cold water dive, deep dive, a dive with your spouse, friend, son. Whatever is different and excites you as a rec diver to do something different.

SCUBA is a plateau in itself. I will push myself to get proper training rather than do what I did above. In fact I have already looked into it, $200 for 4 advanced classes at my LDS.

I'm not trying to impress anyone but I think in all of us that dive, we are trying to take the sport within ourselves to the next level. Maybe not on every dive, but in general.

If I hadn't dove that 100'er last week I would have wanted to do it at some point. Not to brag, but within myself to say that I did it. Just like my first dive at 30'...I did it!

Let's get back on track:
I have heard everyone's version of what I've done wrong. I would like to learn more about other cold water experiences others have had. Depth? Decent Rate? Gear?

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan

Taking diving to the 'next level" is fine. Yes, many of us strive to improve our ability and increase our level of education. But that's what it is Education. Sorry man, but you don't have the education/training to make that dive. Do it when your qualified everyday if you want but you said it yourself, "then I noticed I was low on air", as diverlady pointed out, you should always know what your life line is.....when your properly trained you will be taught that. Don't get upset that people are scolding you for this......you have it comin'. In several years you'll do the same thing to a new diver if you care. None of us want to see bodies being takin from lakes and oceans. Keep up the right attitude and you'll have a ball.
Dive Safe

Cold Water Experience...almost every dive DH & I do...we live in WI!

Most Recent 2weeks ago at Lake Wazee... dive #30 (5 dive >60 ft, vis Above 1st thermocline 20-30 ft, between 1st & 2nd thermocline <5 ft, below 2nd 15-20ft, buddies: DH & much more experienced diver very familar w/ Wazee (dive "leader")
Multi Level Dive: max depth 100 ft, second level 50 ft.
Surface water temp 68
1st thermocline ~ 30ft, temp:~55
2nd themocline @ 60ft , temp:42

Exposure protection:
semi-dry jumpsuit 6/5/4, hooded vest, 6.5 gloves, 6 booties
Gear: Rental (ordered our first sets right after this trip): Aqualung Maverick BCDs, Agualung Titan regs w/ the little yellow octo (can't remember the model name), UK lights

Decent rate: do know for sure, but safe to say pretty slow: DH has "sensitive ears" + we knew those thermocline were there and knew to easy into them the cold hits you like slap in the face, but when you know it's coming you can mitigate the response

My first deep/cold dive was my AOW course, 65ft on a slit lake bottom. By the time it was DH & my turn to perform our skill test it was virtual black water...scarey as hell.

-Christine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom