85m air dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doing that deep on air is not recommended and I wouldn't do it today, but it is no reason to go after this guy like this. As for helium availability and use of rebreathers, that is great in the US, do it in some areas and you are looking at a lot of dollars and order times in the months. In other words, fine if you have the dollars and can plan a trip a year ahead, not so great if you are living there at prevailing wages.

Pete, my bet would be that you guys planned your dives all winter long for a 220 foot air dive. If you were weathered out, you did it the next year. I've only read stories about the Squalus, but that was done by iron men with surface supply, tenders, and procedures.

The OP is getting crapped on because so far he has told us about his "here, hold my beer" dive. If it wasn't so, he will come back when he awakens and tell us of his careful planning, exactly how he utilized his support divers, and what the objective of his dive was, and if he realized that objective. If it was truly a "hey, watch this" kind of dive, he deserves to be crapped on.

There are a bunch of guys up in Louisiana that spear fish on the oil rigs. They dive to 200 + on air and do it up to 5 dives a day. Bounce down, shoot a fish and bring it up. The only thing they seem to plan is a max bottom time for each dive.
It would be nice if they could actually discuss how they do it and what precautions they take but if they posted it here, the "police" would pile on and tell them how stupid they are. Kind of a shame.

Last edited:
Pete, my bet would be that you guys planned your dives all winter long for a 220 foot air dive. If you were weathered out, you did it the next year. I've only read stories about the Squalus, but that was done by iron men with surface supply, tenders, and procedures.

The OP is getting crapped on because so far he has told us about his "here, hold my beer" dive. If it wasn't so, he will come back when he awakens and tell us of his careful planning, exactly how he utilized his support divers, and what the objective of his dive was, and if he realized that objective. If it was truly a "hey, watch this" kind of dive, he deserves to be crapped on.

Frank, we worked up to those dives, and it took at least 2 to 4 weeks. Ask Joel, he was there just like I was - learning how to do this stuff on the boats out of NY and NJ. But, I was much more offten up around Block Island doing the submarines then on the Wahoo doing the wrecks around Captree.

Hi all,

I did a lovely 85m air dive at Verde Island, Puerto Galera in the Philippines earlier this month, after workups of 45m (fish bowl), 55m (abyss), 65m (secret reef) and 75m (joshua's wall). With a bungeed OMS wing. It also had 94# lift and a redundant bladder

Run time was 41 minutes with 8 minutes bottom time, deco on 50% (21m) and 100% (6m), with support divers at 40m with spare stages, plus more on the boat

Nice to be able to deco on the wall and see some fish/coral instead of blue water for a change :) we didn't pop SMBs until 6m

I would've posted this in the Tech forum but didn't see where it would fit

As far as I can tell I don't appear to be dead yet, YMMV

Happy diving

PS Don't do this, it exceeds PP02 limits
Which operator were you diving with?

Do you think you can repeat the feat 10 or 50 times?

Under the same conditions, workup etc - yes

Tell us about the narcosis management course

There's a whole thread about it - search for PSAI narcosis management - where I got similarly crapped on by the usual suspects, some of whom have already made an appearance in this thread. Now I don't bother going into the details or argiung with people

Hi all,

I did a lovely 85m air dive at Verde Island, Puerto Galera in the Philippines earlier this month, after workups of 45m (fish bowl), 55m (abyss), 65m (secret reef) and 75m (joshua's wall). Run time was 41 minutes with 8 minutes bottom time, deco on 50% (21m) and 100% (6m), with support divers at 40m with spare stages, plus more on the boat

If he'd posted this, I'd have thought; PPO2 approaching 2atm, CNS approaching 300%, crazy stuff, but his busyness & moved on.

But he added this-

With a bungeed OMS wing. It also had 94# lift and a redundant bladder

I would've posted this in the Tech forum but didn't see where it would fit

As far as I can tell I don't appear to be dead yet, YMMV

Happy diving

PS Don't do this, it exceeds PP02 limits

for no other reason, but to troll.

It's not impossible. It's not even unlikely. 30 years ago, 320' on air was the norm. Would I do it today? I doubt it. Especially since the ONLY reason to is cost. And 70 bucks really isn't enough money to risk my life.

But, guys, it's not unheard of. I know teams of people who have done Diepolders on air with zero ill effects.

Tortuga, Good for you cause you now know you are an elite breed of a diver. I always thought I was a little gifted for depth on air, took my wife down many times and now she is like me. yes warm water is way easier, in bonair , 2 mm shorty and very little weight Al 80 past 200' every day and almost every dive, then up to rec diving still got an hour dive in. who cares what others say, keep posting your dives. there is all different kinds of diving and deep air is one of them.

Happy Diving

for no other reason, but to troll.

You've made four posts in this thread and called me a troll in every one of them /yawn

I don't know if it's come to your attention, but "If you dive deep air/wear a bunged wing etc YOU'RE GONNA DIE!!" is a bit of a running joke here at SB.com. Unfortunately some people aren't joking when they say it. THAT'S why I said what I said

Attachments

• IMG_2241.jpg
    IMG_2241.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 311
This is the usual reaction to any deep air dives.
It seems that warm water divers have more tendency to try it. A LOT of guys and ladies were diving to 65 plus meters when I was living on Boracay back in 99.
The cold water, dry suit people are the ones who seem really against it. Worse narcosis? bad vis, cold, more gear.

I have noticed this in my diving too. I know the plural of anecdote is not evidence but its my expirence that stress is a huge factor in a hit. Divers feeling better in the water push much further than those diving dry in low viz with and 200lbs of gear and tend to get off easier. Its must be mental.

There is no spoon.

Back
Top Bottom