A Good Reason For Air2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yknot

Reaction score
Recently, a coworker started OW training at a LDS with the intention of doing his cert dives in the Bahamas later this month. I have been attempting to help him with whatever I can, including options for equipment beyond what the LDS is offering. His plan will require him to rent gear in the Bahamas and his preliminary info suggests this will cost $45 per day (2 days OW cert dives + 2 days rec diving after cert= $180). In trying to save him some money, I offered the use of some equipment, in this case reg set, BC and a computer. When I showed him the reg he was real concerned because it is not the type they are training with (mine actually has a completely separate extra second stage attached directly to the first stage with a hose, rather than being integrated to the BC inflator hose). I started to explain the advantages of a conventional octo vs the Air2's he is learning to use, but his responses could only have come from his instructor, as I doubt an as yet uncertified student with two classes under his belt could have rationally thought the issue thru. At the time, I decided to not press my point. I really don't want to come between a new diver and his instructor or somehow betray their bond of trust but since then I've been wondering what possible reasons a LDS would have for telling a new diver that integrated octos are the way to go. I'm not trying to rehash all of the old arguments, just figure where the LDS is going. First, these appear to be a solution to a non-existant problem. I find it hard to believe they are any more profitable than most other octo choices. What alarmes me most of all is that my coworker won't be exposed to any options as to air sharing or recovering a lost reg. I'm also thinking that the gear he ends up renting is going to look a lot like mine anyway and sooner or later he's going to have to confront his fear.

Profit

Retail on typical octo under $100.

Air2 is over $200. And in some cases the LDS keeps the original inflator (no credit).

BTW, what was his fear? What did the instructor tell him was the advantage?

Believe it or not, almost any issue can be rationally argued from two opposing points of view. Your perspective on the issue depends on which argument you find most compelling. I personally know one specific guy who is alive today because of an Air II. Your mileage most certainly may vary.

Don't lend the ingrate your gear! Make the ******* pay to rent! :D

If your OW pal is training on AIR2's or their equivalent, I do not think it advisable for you to lend out your "standard" reg package to him during his checkout dives. He's not been trained on your rig, and that's a heck of a time for him to become acquainted with it. Your pal's concerns are quite valid, from a training perspective.

Doc Intrepid:
Don't lend the ingrate your gear! Make the ******* pay to rent! :D

This issue has definately been added to my "No good deed shall go unpunished" file. I haven't brought my original offer up since.
The instructor's reasons for using the Air2 seem to center around always knowing where your secondary air supply would be. I countered with the fact that I always know where mine is. I also pointed out that octos very rarely funtion for the benefit of you as a diver but rather for the use of your out of air buddy. I also pointed out that a truly out of air diver isn't likely to grab your inflator hose. What struck me as odd about the whole affair is that my coworker showed an actual aversion to a conventional octo. BTW, Doc, how specifically did an Air2 save a guy's life?

archman:
If your OW pal is training on AIR2's or their equivalent, I do not think it advisable for you to lend out your "standard" reg package to him during his checkout dives. He's not been trained on your rig, and that's a heck of a time for him to become acquainted with it. Your pal's concerns are quite valid, from a training perspective.

Actually I suggested he use the gear during his next pool session. Part of my point is that he will likely get his first exposure to my rig (or one very similar) when they hand him his rental gear on the boat.

Traditional octo vs. Air2 is an almost worthless argument. I have dove both ways and I enjoy each for different reasons. It is like arguing jacket style BCDs and back-inflate BCDs. They are different, but serve the same function. It is all about what you are comfortable with.

I wouldn't loan the guy a gear set that is different from the one he has used thus far.

I personally now have an Air2 setup on my back-inflate BCD, and I teach that way. All of my students use a jacket-style BCD with a traditional octo. I teach them about the differences and their individual pros and cons so that they can make their own decision when the time comes. Also, it will come in handy when they go to rent gear that, "heaven forbid" is a different setup than the stuff they took OW in.

I use an air 2 for most of my diving, one advantage being that if needed, for another more specific dive I can also add an occto. to my rig and have the extra coverage for an emergency if one should arise. On good ol rec dives I personally like not having the extra 2nd hanging on me.

I was taught with a traditional octo, but next 10 dives I rented a back-inflate with SP AirII. Since it was new to me, I tried it immediately! In less than 10- minutes, I could vent the BC while breathing the AirII, just by turning my head all the way right..
I couldn't find a way to inflate it without my hands, but I figured it was a useable piece of gear anyway:)

IMO, the key here is what he's going to use for his OW certs. I'd be shocked if the gear he rents in the Bahamas will have an Air2 rig on it, so the rent vs. borrow argument is moot. If his instructor has given him the impression that he will find an Air2 on his rental gear, then he either has specific knowledge, or he is selling a bill of goods, as I have never seen a rental reg set up that way in the islands.

ynot, I think your buddy is in for a rude awakening when he gets where he's going and sees what is available in rental gear. :11: But, maybe he is also the type of person who will learn with his wallet... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom