A Less Strenuous Surface Swim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I swim on my back on the surface using a full-leg flutter. The snorkel stays in the gear closet at home.

Looking underwater is a lot more interesting that staring up at the sun. Put a little air in your BC and a snorkel in your mouth. On the west coast, looking forward makes it easier to avoid swimming into patches of kelp.

Or at least finding a good path through, or over, the kelp. I find I can keep better track of everything going on while swimming facing the direction of travel, I can always roll over onto my back to check behind me if I have the urge.

I also use a scissor kick and some other "non standard" kicks to trade off muscles from the flutter as a 30 min surface swim, before and after, the dive is not unusual.

Bob
--------------------

Snorkels are a regional thing and many people find them a convenient tool.
Just because somebody uses a snorkel doesn't mean they are less of a diver or an incompetent idiot.
I know many people here on SB like to make fun of snorkels and the people who use them, but I'd like to surface swim side by side with them in my backyard here in Northern California and see how they do when they get a nice wad of bull kelp or better yet, feather boa all wound up in their first stage and tank valve while they insist on swimming on their backs and unable to see where they are going, then let's see who gets the last laugh. Especially in late summer when the kelp is the thickest. They actaully teach in regional OW classes how to "kelp Crawl". it's a California thing.

And before some smarty pants says "Why not just use tank air instead of a snorkel" Think about how ludicrous that is. Why would you waste precious tank air for a surface swim when atmosphere and a snorkel are free and inexhaustible?

Learning to swim on your stomach is actually more efficient because your front side is a lot more streamlined with less obstructions than your backside with the tank hanging down.

Minimize the amount of air in the BC, lay on your back, look straight up and occasionally at the clouds or shore or stars for some reference point to keep your path straight. If you are curving all over the place, that wastes more effort than anything.

Also, how the heck do you use a snorkel when laying flat on your back... That position will put the snorkel underwater for me?

On your back with a snorkel - yep you have a point :) With a snorkel I swim on my side

And before some smarty pants says "Why not just use tank air instead of a snorkel" Think about how ludicrous that is. Why would you waste precious tank air for a surface swim when atmosphere and a snorkel are free and inexhaustible?
Why label any of the options ludicrous, just because it's not the one that works for you, or where you are?

Maybe using tank air isn't a great idea for many people at the beginning of the dive if there's any chance they'll want that air later. But at the end if you have extra air, why not? The OP mentions the situation where there's waves making it more difficult, and staying below enough to avoid that will make for a much easier swim. Even if there's not waves, if you've got distance to cover you can often make better headway UW. As someone who is an air sipper, I'll cruise along under the surface when the situation calls for it (even at the beginning of a dive) and I'll leave my reg in my mouth on the surface if it's more comfortable. I'd argue if you know you might have a swim in waves, it might even make sense sometimes to plan for it and allow some air for a sub surface swim, same as you save air for other reasons.

I prefer surface swimming on my front, seeing where I'm going, and watching what's going on underwater along the way - it's really a continuation of the dive for me. I find swimming on my back less comfortable, especially if it means staring into the sun. If there was no viz to see anything and no sun to get in my eyes where I was diving, maybe I'd feel differently. (For the record, I have nothing against snorkels. I've got a collection, and carry a rollup on dives in case I need it.)

I like to swim on my back. The weight of the tank is in the water, the wing pushes me out, face well out of the water, fins completely in the water for more efficient kicking...

The instructor I dove with yesterday said "Ok Steve, we'll 'otter swim' out to the blue marker barrel, then we'll start working on nav skills. He could tell I was confused, 'otter swim' was his term for swimming on your back, taking it easy. Having seen sea otters when I lived in Monterey CA., made perfect sense. I wish I had some fresh oysters on my tummy to nibble on.

RBS

On back, flutter also. Adjust inflation for least kicking effort vs. forward progress. Don't forget that here is where you DO use your hands. Flutter for a bit then give the legs a brief rest while you bring your arms together above your head and then pull arms back to sides to keep your forward momentum going.

Hi,

During the courses we learned different kicks how to swim under water but I cannot recall any suggestions, how to make a better surface swim. I wonder, are there any recommended methods, how to swim on surface? I always find it more strenuous, especially in waves. Thanks for your wisdom!

Johanan,

Surface swimming is made much easier, I think, depending on your equipment choices and if you've gotten in shape for it. Pace yourself!

My post #48 in the thread here (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/277824-failed-bcd-pressure-relief-valve-5.html) describes the approach I learned.

A good way to get in shape for surface swimming is to distance swim in your snorkeling gear (including fins, snorkel, and weight belt) periodically. Prepare to be bored, though!

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom