A little computer help greatly appreciated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suunto viper. Cheap as chips if you get it used. Has gauge mode

I have an Aeris XR1. Very nice, simple computer with large digits making it easy to read. It's not air integrated, but gives my depth, time, and after dive water temps. There is a nitrogen loading bar that is a little smaller and you have to look carefully and pay attention to it since it's not set to an audible alert. The nitrogen loading bar is easy to read and follow. It is programmable for nitrox or just use as standard air setting when diving nitrox.

Overall I'm very happy with it and would recommend it to other divers, especially for the money. It will be passed down to my daughter when I upgrade to an air integrated wrist computer. I've been happy with Aeris and will likely stay with them for my next computer, currently have my eye on the Epic. Also keeps the algorithms close with same manufacterer if my daughter has my old computer.

I have a Mares Puck as my backup.

You can get them for around $150 now on eBay.

Air, Nitrox and Gauge mode. Altitude adjustment if you're away from the coast.

Appreciate the responses. I was looking at the B.U.D. but haven't pulled the trigger on it as for a couple extra bucks I can get a wrist mounted fully functional computer (Dg02). I may end up spending a couple hundred more and purchasing a VEO 3.0 or 2.0. For once I wish there were less options in the market.

75 divees on my Veo 2.0 and I am very happy with it FWIW.

My daughter has a Suunto Zoop as does one of my other regular dive buddies, works in gauge mode too.

The Suunto products seem like a great reliable options, however the reported ultra conservatism has kept me away.

@gcarter Thanks for the positive endorsement, everyone loves to feel good about their purchases!

The Dual Algorithms is a strong point on the oceanic models.

Thanks again for all of the help.

The Suunto products seem like a great reliable options, however the reported ultra conservatism has kept me away.

@gcarter Thanks for the positive endorsement, everyone loves to feel good about their purchases!

My rationale too. Good choice.

I want to comment on your future plans regarding a Shearwater Predator (or Petrel). This is a highly regarded computer, but I would not be thinking along those lines now, and it has nothing to do with the cost.

The Shearwater Predator has all sorts of capabilities that you don't need now and won't conceivably need for a very long time. There is no reason to spend a lot of money for a computer just to get functions that won't do you a bit of good. For most divers, a basic computer is all you really need or want.

Let's say that someday you become involved with the kind of diving for which the Shearwater is designed. That won't be for a long time. When you begin that training, depending upon the agency through which you get your training, there is a good chance you won't be allowed to use it in your classes. When you are done with your training, you may want something different--possibly no computer at all. If you then do decide to use a computer like the Shearwater, by the time you are ready to do so, there will be much different computers on the market--even a newer model Shearwater--that you will wish you had instead.

@Boulderjohn Which is exactly why I'm purchasing an Oceanic Veo 2.0 and not a Predator. Not for a few years most likely.

You're welcome :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom