a question for the masses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I think we've found a home here.

Well, that settles it! We're making plans to visit our local dive shop to get a set of ankle weights. We have one more night in the pool this Friday before our check out dives. I think this will give her the confidence that she needs. We'll let you know how it goes Monday.

We appreciate the advise and wish everyone the best!

Adios Amigos!

I find alot of students have trouble with the bouyancy exercise you have described because they don't have their tanks in the right position and their point of balance is put out by having their tank mounted too high.Check this out before you spend money.The tank may need to be below her waist.If her head is touching the reg then it is too high.
Cheers Big Ears,
The Thunder from Down Under,
The Gasman.

Thanks for the 'plan b' Gasman. We picked up the ankle weights last night and will start with that tonight in the pool. My bet is she'll ace it. If she still has trouble we'll try lowering her tank. I 'spose the 3rd option will be to glue her fin tips to the bottom of the pool.

1 week until certification at the lake!!!

can't wait!

Aquaviper, there are inherant complications with altering the tank height to a position other than the optimum one. Most likely you guys are using Aluminum cylinders which will have different buoyancy characteristics between the beginning of the dive to the end of the dive. It will, towards the end become more buoyant.

Also, lowering the cylinder too much will result in problems with reaching the hoses during the regulator recovery excersise. (The sweep won't be affected, but the reach may) Most people don't realize that you lose flexibility in your reach with a wetsuit on. Now, are there other factors such as surf or surge that can compound the problem?

Stick with the ankle weights and all will be well. Have her consciously keep her legs straight, and planted on the pool bottom. It'll be easier in the ocean, since there will most likely be a more suitable bottom composition for the excercise.

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

But I'm not talking about that.I personally had 3 students in the last few weeks who had their tanks mounted too high and had never been taught how to find that optimim height and these were OW and AOW rated students.Apparently their earlier instructors didn't deal with it when they started.
When I taught them the right height their buoyancy problems disappeared,as far as that exercise went.If ankle weights are what works for your wife,then well and good.I just like to go for the simplest options first and then look for other answers when you've ruled out the simplest first.They were using Aluminium and I have dived Al most of my life.
Cheers Ears,
The one and only,
Gasman

since having bought strap fins and booties (which are definitely positively buoyant!) I have a hard time doing fin pivots, or keeping my feet below my head while practicing buoyancy.

While I understand your point about tank positioning, Greg, I think mine is definitely a bootie buoyancy problem and I'll have to get me some of them ankle weights. :p

Oh yes, and WELCOME Aquaviper... welcome to the world of scuba addiction! You'll never want to leave.

:)

through "Those Amazing Caves"

My ex-wife had the same problem, tried to get her to let me tie some concrete blocks to her ankles but she flatly refused....go figure.

ID

Im a man and I also have the same problem. Talked about ankle weights but assigning around with other divers, the over whelming answers was don’t worry about it. I was told as you become more experienced I would learn how to adjust for it and move my body in the right poshion. That ankle weights are a fix for an out of posh ion body. Any thoughts on this?

Originally posted by Iguana Don
through "Those Amazing Caves"

My ex-wife had the same problem, tried to get her to let me tie some concrete blocks to her ankles but she flatly refused....go figure.

ID

Hmmmmm, sounds like a good idea to me. LOL!!

Back
Top Bottom