A question for you dry divers!

Why do you dive dry?

• I dive in water that's too cold to dive wet

Votes: 36 76.6%
  • sick of freezing in between dives this time of year

Votes: 11 23.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive dry anytime the air or water temp is below 70. What I hated was putting on a cold wetsuit for a 2nd or 3rd dive. Only time I will be in a wetsuit is in the tropics, and even then I've thought of wearing a lightweight drysuit (thats how much I like diving dry.) Ender - what drysuit do you wear in the tropics?

Dry and Caribbean.

I figure I bought the drysuit, the quarries are never really warm, the SI is so much more pleasant. I'll never dive wet above Florida again.

I <heart> my drysuit.

Rachel

I like the dry suit for two reasons.

1. It keeps you warmer at the surface.

2. When you are out of th ater, suit off, towel dry hair, add shirt over undergarmet nad drive to hotel or home

1. I bought the drysuit for diving in cold water <50 F.

2. I then fell in love with diving dry and now prefer it for any water that is <75 F! As others have already said, you step out of the suit ready to go to dinner, you don't have to disrobe and towel off between dives, don't even need to take the suit off if air temp is below 80 F, you stay comfortable for ALL the dives of the day/weekend, and your weighting remains consistent. And, you never put a cold suit on in cold air to get into cold water--shivers!!

theskull

IzzyTahil once bubbled...
I dive dry anytime the air or water temp is below 70. What I hated was putting on a cold wetsuit for a 2nd or 3rd dive. Only time I will be in a wetsuit is in the tropics, and even then I've thought of wearing a lightweight drysuit (thats how much I like diving dry.) Ender - what drysuit do you wear in the tropics?
I have 3.5mm crushed neoprene one, which I can use anywhere from 7C to 28C (based on experience).
It's not ideal for tropics, but if you jump into water right after zipping up you're ok.
I wear just shorts and a fairly thin t-shirt underneath.
I'm going to get a membrane one though, because it's lighter and more flexible.
Regards,
Vlad

A lot of you have said that a wetsuit's buoyancy changes at depth, because it compresses.

Well doesn't the same thing happen to a dry suit at depth when the air inside compresses?

grunzster once bubbled...
A lot of you have said that a wetsuit's buoyancy changes at depth, because it compresses.

Well doesn't the same thing happen to a dry suit at depth when the air inside compresses?

It does change - that's why the suit has an inflator hose/valve, so you can add air to keep the volume( and thus the insulation) the same.

but more likely to be the SI factor these days.

Plus I hate trudging around wet so have to change out between wet dives and hate putting on a cold and wet wet suite...

I did my first 120 or so dives in a wetsuit ... never did get cold, even when the water was a balmy 44 F degrees. Then again, I'm built like a harbor seal.

I like a drysuit because when I'm done diving I just take it off and go home. Some of our dive sites don't have anything remotely resembling a place to change (they're just public access trails down to the beach thru a neighborhood). Ever try changing out of a wetsuit in your car? It's a pain ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom