A quick review of UTD Essentials

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice report. Best of luck with the rest of the class.

I liked the video. I hope to see more soon.

I believe there are three courses that could be considered 'below' GUE-F (Primer, Rec-1 and Rec-2) and one for Essentials (UTD OW)

One could also arguably "go DIR" without taking a single course - you just won't get a certification from either agency

Not sure if I can agree to "go DIR" without taking a single course since DIR is about a "system", unless you have someone who knows DIR teaching you, then I guess you are right because receiving instruction does not necessary equate to taking a course.

So just out of curiosity, because I'm not within 3000 miles of an instructor for either, how much would the GUE Fundamentals or the UTD Essentials course cost in say, LA?

There is a UTD instructor in Singapore. I believe GUE has a presence there too...

Not sure if I can agree to "go DIR" without taking a single course since DIR is about a "system", unless you have someone who knows DIR teaching you, then I guess you are right because receiving instruction does not necessary equate to taking a course.

The DIR system predates DIR courses.

And who needs to take a course when you can watch the well edited videos from the late 90's early 2000's?:D

Ah yes, why didn't I think of that? And isn't it the same with any discipline? Martial arts, recreational diving, car mechanic etc... all the knowledge predates courses, so should they all be abolished?

As a reference, I had a student come to me to study Wing Chun. He showed me what he learnt in his previous school and this was my exact comment to him:

"What you just showed me is something you do that really looks like Wing Chun but it is not Wing Chun". He did not understand what I said and thought I was just trying to act wise until 2 months later when he finally grasp the "idea" if Wing Chun. :cool2:

Ah yes, why didn't I think of that? And isn't it the same with any discipline? Martial arts, recreational diving, car mechanic etc... all the knowledge predates courses, so should they all be abolished?

That's quite a leap from what I said...

Take "DIR courses" if you want to; I have taken them also. For most people, they're probably the best way to learn the system. For others, a quality mentorship may be as good or better. It really depends on what you have access to.

That's quite a leap from what I said...

Take "DIR courses" if you want to; I have taken them also. For most people, they're probably the best way to learn the system. For others, a quality mentorship may be as good or better. It really depends on what you have access to.

My sincere apologies. It did came across like that given the context of the flow of the conversation.

My sincere apologies. It did came across like that given the context of the flow of the conversation.

My bad, wasn't my intent.

My previous comment wasn't a slight at DIR, it was simply based on the fact that I dive helium fairly shallow - as I was trained to. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom