A quick review of UTD Essentials

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Next was a "dry run" where Jeff demonstrated the "Basic 6" ...

Your report mentions the Basic 6 a couple of times - I know what the GUE Basic 5 are, does UTD have an extra one?

Your report mentions the Basic 6 a couple of times - I know what the GUE Basic 5 are, does UTD have an extra one?

Whats the GUE 5? The basic 6 are 1. regulator remove and replace; 2. regulator ex-change, 3. regulator recovery, 4. mod-s, 5. mask flood and clear, 6. mask removal and replace.

Seems like 3. reg recovery is the extra one

I'm guessing because Essentials is more of an OW/Intro course, so students might not have done reg recovery before maybe? :idk: (halemano)

Also sounds like bungee secondary isn't a requirement

Whats the GUE 5? The basic 6 are 1. regulator remove and replace; 2. regulator ex-change, 3. regulator recovery, 4. mod-s, 5. mask flood and clear, 6. mask removal and replace.

GUE 5 as I remembered from Fundies.

1. Reg removal
2. Reg removal, octo in, reg clip off
3. Mod-S drill
4. Flood mask and clear mask
5. Full mask removal

It appears the UTD basic 6 has the reg recovery.

So I know both UTD and GUE both follow DIR philosophies. So why the two separate organizations? Where do they differ? No, I'm not asking this because I want to spool a bunch of people up, I am really just curious as to what makes them different.

So I know both UTD and GUE both follow DIR philosophies. So why the two separate organizations? Where do they differ? No, I'm not asking this because I want to spool a bunch of people up, I am really just curious as to what makes them different.

That's like asking why there is a Ford and a Chevy instead of one single company.

So I know both UTD and GUE both follow DIR philosophies. So why the two separate organizations?

Well the Cliff's Notes version would be something like this:

DIR as a philosophy doesn't belong to anyone in particular. It evolved out of Hogarthian diving principles originated by Bill 'Hogarth' Main, and the WKPP project

George Irvine coined the term DIR I think, and formed GUE with Jarrod Jablonksi of Halcyon fame

UTD was later co-founded by Andrew Georgitsis who was formerly the Training Director at GUE

So you have two agencies now offering training which have emerged from the same basic principles

As Blackwood implied, it's not an uncommon thing in the business world

That's like asking why there is a Ford and a Chevy instead of one single company.

So you're saying they both make American products not actually made in America?!?!

Sorry had to do it. Ok so I get your point, but I really don't know a ton about either and I'm looking to find out if one would be better for me than the other because I'm currently looking into tech training and I wanted to know what people had to say about it.

I'm currently looking into tech training and I wanted to know what people had to say about it.

Just curious if you don't mind: What goal do you want to achieve by tech training and how much money do you anticipate spending to achieve it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom