A quick review of UTD Essentials

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how much money do you anticipate spending to achieve it?

Other than to say "take that number and multiply it by X", I don't understand the point of this question

It's a moving target

Just curious if you don't mind: What goal do you want to achieve by tech training and how much money do you anticipate spending to achieve it?

My current goal is to learn as much about diving as I can through traditional course work and through other more experienced divers. Specifically my goal with tech training would be to safely further my skills beyond traditional recreational diving in order to dive places and do things, perhaps professionally if feasible, not safely possible with recreational training. That stated I'm only currently looking into this type of training to figure out what will work best for me as I do not have a ton of experience.

As far as how much money I plan on spending I have no idea. That depends on a lot of things... I know that it can be expensive and I would be willing to spend what I can to do it, but like I said what I can spend will depend on a lot of things...

Hey Randy, it was nice to work with you. This stuff takes practice but it is definately in your blood to achieve based on what I observed this weekend. Let me know next time you're in town and we can meet up.

Thanks for the review and the video.
Like watching a dramatic catchy trailer at a movie theatre...where's the rest of it?

Thank you. The rest of it.... um... we have to see if the actor can pull off the stunt in order to complete production. As of now, he is all over the place in the water while the others are watching him :shakehead:

So I know both UTD and GUE both follow DIR philosophies. So why the two separate organizations? Where do they differ? No, I'm not asking this because I want to spool a bunch of people up, I am really just curious as to what makes them different.

I was in your position when I first started. My advice is to find the one more convenient to you and talk to instructors from both agencies and see who you feel more comfortable with. My decision was based on the above, and I am extremely happy with my decision.

So you're saying they both make American products not actually made in America?!?!

Sorry had to do it. Ok so I get your point, but I really don't know a ton about either and I'm looking to find out if one would be better for me than the other because I'm currently looking into tech training and I wanted to know what people had to say about it.

DIR is for both recreational and tech (and cave). I see it as a layer of learning where 1 has to be layered of the previous one. Regardless of you current certification, if you want to go DIR, you have to start from the bottom in either agency (GUE Fundamentals or UTD Essentials). Whether you are going tech or not, if you are serious about diving, I strongly recommend going for it. Whether you want to apply them later or not, you will definitely walk away with more knowledge which ultimately makes you a safer and better diver.

Hey Randy, it was nice to work with you. This stuff takes practice but it is definately in your blood to achieve based on what I observed this weekend. Let me know next time you're in town and we can meet up.

My educated guess is that you must be Shawn :crafty:

Thank you so much for your guidance and patience. I definitely want to come by again soon, probably once my drysuit is here. I'm not sure if it is in my blood my I am definitely passionate about it :dork2:

... if you want to go DIR, you have to start from the bottom in either agency (GUE Fundamentals or UTD Essentials)

I believe there are three courses that could be considered 'below' GUE-F (Primer, Rec-1 and Rec-2) and one for Essentials (UTD OW)

One could also arguably "go DIR" without taking a single course - you just won't get a certification from either agency

So just out of curiosity, because I'm not within 3000 miles of an instructor for either, how much would the GUE Fundamentals or the UTD Essentials course cost in say, LA?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom