A300CS OLED Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a feature that while not necessary, is certainly a nice to have feature in recreational diving. There is something to be said for less clutter and dangling a. That being said, I love the interface on the petrel and no doubt in just over a week when I start my rebreather training, will love it even more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seriously not wanting to turn this into an AI vs non-AI discussion, but how is it LESS clutter? Last I checked, it's MORE clutter to go AI....wireless or not. You still have to have a mechanical SPG as a backup, anyway.....so anything additional is MORE clutter. Right?

Less Moses, first of all I dive with a watch that has a pressure gauge in it, second, not everyone dives with a backup, thirdly, you can always wear another computer in gauge mode which does not require a another wire. Therefore less clutter.

Less Moses, first of all I dive with a watch that has a pressure gauge in it, second, not everyone dives with a backup, thirdly, you can always wear another computer in gauge mode which does not require a another wire. Therefore less clutter.

What? What do Moses, a watch with a pressure gauge, and a backup computer in gauge mode have to do with ANYTHING? Whether or not you're diving wireless AI, you should be diving a mechanical SPG. Period. Even the biggest AI proponents agree with that. Most manufacturers agree with that. So....you still have the "clutter" of a mechanical SPG, and you're adding a wireless transmitter.

Plus, I don't see how a 2" brass-and-glass SPG clipped off adds any/much clutter.

What? What do Moses, a watch with a pressure gauge, and a backup computer in gauge mode have to do with ANYTHING? Whether or not you're diving wireless AI, you should be diving a mechanical SPG. Period. Even the biggest AI proponents agree with that. Most manufacturers agree with that. So....you still have the "clutter" of a mechanical SPG, and you're adding a wireless transmitter.

Plus, I don't see how a 2" brass-and-glass SPG clipped off innocuously adds any/much clutter.

Obviously, I meant hoses. I was on my phone and I missed one of it's mistakes. 90% of the people that I see using a wireless transmitter (which doesn't have a hose hanging down in front of you) don't have a secondary. I personally dive with a depth meter and a secondary tank most times which has it's own little spg that stays on the regulator, so I don't normally carry anything other than a backup depth and timer. I generally know how long I'm going to last on my tank though. That being said, AI is a very nice feature to have. Insinuating that if you must have AI, then you are less then someone else is ridiculous.

Hoseless AI is not more clutter in any realistic sense of the word. I keep the clipped off spg which is hardly noticeable anyway. The only "more" is the transmitter which is small, attached on the first stage, completely out of the way especially on my Apeks first stage, where it sits underneath the outging LP regulator hoses and can barely even be seen.

Yeah, the "real divers only dive shearwaters" thing is getting pretty old . . . Actually, "real divers only dive bottom timers and tables" The minute you put that Petrel into "computer" mode, you are part of the great unwashed, just like the rest of us. It's just a matter of degree, and we have even more convenience with the AI.

This Aeris looks like one of the best display designs I have seen for simplicity and bold display of the critical info.

But the price, OUCH! Higher than most tech computers like the Shearwaters. Wonder to what degree the rec computer market will buy into a computer at that price level.

This isn't the thread for ai vs non-ai or petrel vs whatever...give that crap a rest already, that dead horse has been beaten repeatedly elsewhere. 500 times.

I wasn't making it that. All I was saying is that AI isn't LESS clutter. It's MORE stuff than not. I never said he should buy a Petrel. I never claimed ANY of that. I said it was a cute little computer and looks like a baby Petrel. I STILL think it does. The far side of the case has the little battery slot, like the Petrel, and it makes the whole end slightly cylindrical, like the Petrel. I think that, visually, it takes some cues FROM the Petrel. I didn't say anything comparing them. I said that the price was crazy high. Someone said, "Holy cow, you can get a Petrel that does more for less." Besides AI, that's true....you CAN get a Petrel for less, and it DOES do more (if you ignore AI).

I specifically said I did NOT want it to be AI vs non-AI. I stated I didn't like it, but that some small firmware changes could add a lot of usability in terms of what the AI would be capable of (namely: sidemount compatibility). It was also not about being "better than" other divers by not using AI. I simply don't like it.

guyharrison: The display layout DOES seem pretty good, especially for as small of a screen as it is. Have you seen the display layout on SW's new rec mode? Fairly similar, but a much bigger screen.

Victor I hope shear water is at tekdiv in Miami next month so I can see one in rec mode.

The aeris does not seem to be in shops yet but look forward to seeing it soon.

no hurry to change my galileo but color would be nice one day.

At the price the aeris should have a trimix algorithm as an option.

Just in case my question got lost:
Have you carried over any of the freediving tech from your other watches (F10 and F11)? I would love to get a wrist computer that I can use for both freediving and scuba.

Thanks,
Derek

Back
Top Bottom