A300CS OLED Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doug Krause

How and when does the computer know when to change from one transmitter to another? Does it work on a preset depth made the user or does the user press a button (or combination of) to tell it to change to a specific tank or does it monitor gas consumption and switch to the tank being used (it would know that a specific tank is the one being used at that time automatically)?

If a diver is using two tanks in a sidemount configuration and he switches back and forth between them, how would the computer know what Tank information to show to reflect the one that is being used?

Doug Krause

How and when does the computer know when to change from one transmitter to another? Does it work on a preset depth made the user or does the user press a button (or combination of) to tell it to change to a specific tank or does it monitor gas consumption and switch to the tank being used (it would know that a specific tank is the one being used at that time automatically)?

If a diver is using two tanks in a sidemount configuration and he switches back and forth between them, how would the computer know what Tank information to show to reflect the one that is being used?

You have to have two different gas mixes set up and change the gas mix/tank manually.

You have to have two different gas mixes set up and change the gas mix/tank manually.

I presume what you mean by saying: ""two different gas mixes set up" is that I have to put in the mix % for each gas mix in the computer while on the surface before the dive. If so, this goes without saying.

In terms of "change the gas mix/tank manually," do you mean press a button (or combination of) on the computer to tell it that you have switched to a different tank/transmitter for it to do its deco/gas remaining based on the mix/pressure on the tank you are switching to and thus you can switch from one tank to other as often as you like? (I am asking this question because some other computers switch to the other mix automatically when you reach a certain depth in your dive as as far as I know)

I presume what you mean by saying: ""two different gas mixes set up" is that I have to put in the mix % for each gas mix in the computer while on the surface before the dive. If so, this goes without saying.
Yup.

In terms of "change the gas mix/tank manually," do you mean press a button (or combination of) on the computer to tell it that you have switched to a different tank/transmitter for it to do its deco/gas remaining based on the mix/pressure on the tank you are switching to and thus you can switch from one tank to other as often as you like?
Yes. That's what I mean. That's how most/all AI computers work.

I am asking this question because some other computers switch to the other mix automatically when you reach a certain depth in your dive as as far as I know

What computer does that? I'd HATE to dive a computer that randomly guesses what tank I'm breathing from! If it did it by calculating from deltas, then MAYBE I'd be more okay with it.....unless one of my tanks has a leak, in which case it'd be dangerous. Having a computer tell you what gas it thinks you might be on based on depth and then calculating your deco profile based on that is a horrifying proposition. Truly.

Looks like a very nice computer and an advance over anything else on the market. One thing that puzzles me is why Oceanic chose to put out their most innovative products such as the new fins and computers under the Aeris brand rather than Oceanic or perhaps Hollis. I was under the impression that Aeris was their economy brand?

......One thing that puzzles me is why Oceanic chose to put out their most innovative products such as the new fins and computers under the Aeris brand rather than Oceanic or perhaps Hollis. ....
Have you ever met my friend Doug Krause?

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Have you ever met my friend Doug Krause?

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I have had the same question as Hatul and was wondering about it. I have never met Doug, so please tell us more about him and why it is so.

Yup.

What computer does that? I'd HATE to dive a computer that randomly guesses what tank I'm breathing from! If it did it by calculating from deltas, then MAYBE I'd be more okay with it.....unless one of my tanks has a leak, in which case it'd be dangerous. Having a computer tell you what gas it thinks you might be on based on depth and then calculating your deco profile based on that is a horrifying proposition. Truly.

I think what Burhan might be referring to is the Galileo feature that automatically alerts you when you reach the MOD for the "best" of the deco mixes programmed into the computer. The computer "recommends" the switch to the "best gas" but does NOT make the switch in the computer unless you confirm the switch with a button press. If you do not confirm the switch, the computer continues calculations on the assumption that you have not switched. There is also a way you can manually initiate a switch later, to any gas (including the recommended one that you did not switch to when the computer alerted you).

It is a straightforward, intuitive system that alerts you to switch but leaves you in control.

As related to the wireless gas monitoring, when you start breathing off the new tank (which begins transmitting), and are not breathing on the old one (which stops transmitting), the compter recognizes which tank is tramsmitting and the gas display begins for the new tank which is also identified on the screen for confirmation, but the gas display or remaining gas calculations has nothing to do with the deco calculations which are displayed in a separate area.

I do not know if this system is implemented on the Aeris.

I am hoping Hollis will come out with a tech/trimix version of this color computer that also allows gas integration.

I think what Burhan might be referring to is the Galileo feature that automatically alerts you when you reach the MOD for the "best" of the deco mixes programmed into the computer. The computer "recommends" the switch to the "best gas" but does NOT make the switch in the computer unless you confirm the switch with a button press. If you do not confirm the switch, the computer continues calculations on the assumption that you have not switched. There is also a way you can manually initiate a switch later, to any gas (including the recommended one that you did not switch to when the computer alerted you).

It is a straightforward, intuitive system that alerts you to switch but leaves you in control.

As related to the wireless gas monitoring, when you start breathing off the new tank (which begins transmitting), and are not breathing on the old one (which stops transmitting), the compter recognizes which tank is tramsmitting and the gas display begins for the new tank which is also identified on the screen for confirmation, but the gas display or remaining gas calculations has nothing to do with the deco calculations which are displayed in a separate area.

I do not know if this system is implemented on the Aeris.

I am hoping Hollis will come out with a tech/trimix version of this color computer that also allows gas integration.

Guy,

You saying that the SP Sol senses when you have started breathing from the other Tank and transforms the deco/air remaining based on the Tank it thinks you have switched to without you pressing any button or doing anything manually?

Back
Top Bottom