Abandoned Diver Prevention

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[
QUOTE=Jcsgt]Today's article in the Ten Foot Stop

Abandoned Divers, What to do, How to Prevent

The Boat

* Check out the boat and boat captain before diving
* Ask questions about rescue action plans
* Ask about the history of the motor
* Ask about the credentials of the crew
* Ask about the system for counting heads (Names!)
* Find out if the boat has a functioning radio
o Request to see and hear it function
o Ask who they call for assistance
* Be alert to location of the nearest land

Important! Don't be put off by an officious captain! Your life may be at stake. If the captain doesn't want to cooperate - ask your dive leader to intervene or get off the boat.
The Dive

How would one know the Capt is not telling big fat fibs?

* If a drift dive, listen carefully for instructions, stay with the group
* Check for current, tide and wind conditions; imagine yourself out of sight of the boat
* Always start your dive by swimming upcurrent after orienting yourself

If its a drift dive would you not go with the current?

* Develop navigational skills. See http://snipurl.com/tcv0

Equipment possibly helpful

* Inflatable Sausage
* Reflector
* Whistle or other noise maker
* Slate
* Line

Also a PLB

Hazards of being left behind

* Dehydration and thirst
* Hypothermia
* Severe sunburn and immersion injury
* Marine animal injury
* Drowning

Things to do

* Inflate BC
* Drop weights, preserving belt

From Diver magazine

If you surface away from the boat, stay with other divers. Be cautious in heavy swells where there is a risk of injury from bouncing of one another's equipment. KEEP YOUR EQUIPMENT ON Your position in the water is more comfortable with the tank, inflated BCD and WEIGHT BELT IN PLACE

* Inflate sausage
* Flash reflector (Someone might see it, even though you can't see them)
* Blow whistle
* Write time, approximate location and speed of current on your slate
* If you swim, swim diagonally with the current toward any known dry land.
* Stay with others involved. Use a tie up method using empty weight belt or other straps. This gives a larger target for searchers.
* Remember that there will be rescue attempts and searchers.

'Seven Steps to Survival'

Survival at sea depends on the recognition that you are in danger of losing your life. There are commonly described "seven steps" to survival that may make a difference in the outcome of some rather terrible situations. Even an accident fairly close inshore in cold water can quickly lead to hypothermia and drowning. The seven steps to survival are: recognition, inventory, shelter, water, food, signals and play. Of course, flotation is a prerequisite for any survival after only a short time in the water. Other factors come into play, the most important of which is unmeasurable, "the will to live".

The seven steps to survival include recognizing that you are in peril and realizing that what you are wearing constitutes a form of shelter. Use signals in the form of mirrors, flares, colored objects or waving arms, suits or objects about to attract attention. Finally, "play" comes into action as you have memories, fantasies, prayer, tell jokes and get rid of your anger.

posted by Ern Campbell, MD[/QUOTE]

Any survival training facility will tell you, if you are going to be immersed for any length of time assume the fetal position, the best way to conserve body heat.

catherine96821:
I do check the fuel gauge now, on drifts.

A good idea that I will adopt.
I also carry my own GPS and Marine VHF in my dive bag.
I also pay careful attention to the boat briefing. It tells a lot about how conscientious the skipper is.

Is there such a device as a "lost diver electronic signaling device"? You're out there alone; you activate the signaler; searchers hone in in the signal; found diver. I'm not a skier, but I understand that in avalanche prone areas, skiers will carry a device like that so they could get located quickly if buried. Obviously the device would have to be water proof to x amount ft; therefore, the cost may be prohibitive. I would feel pretty secure carrying one of these if I were diving off Tobago, Cozumel, or Palau. Any such animal out there? and if so, how much?

Barracuda2:
Is there such a device as a "lost diver electronic signaling device"? You're out there alone; you activate the signaler; searchers hone in in the signal; found diver. I'm not a skier, but I understand that in avalanche prone areas, skiers will carry a device like that so they could get located quickly if buried. Obviously the device would have to be water proof to x amount ft; therefore, the cost may be prohibitive. I would feel pretty secure carrying one of these if I were diving off Tobago, Cozumel, or Palau. Any such animal out there? and if so, how much?

PLB = personnel locator beacon. When activated it sends a signal with your location to NOA via satellite.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom