Accident at Lake Rawlings Sunday 05/27/2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Woman drowns scuba diving in lake - NBC12.com-Richmond, VA News, Weather, Traffic & Sports

It seems odd that several news reports say they were going to explore and artifact, perhaps echoing one source - since it was an OW class.

What is really odd is that someone called whatever it was they were decending to see an "Artifact"......there are many things in Lake Rawlings, but i dont know that i would classify any of them as artifacts.

This whole scenario really sucks, and i feel for all involved. The tour dives are what they are, and really are common in the lake. I've never had any issues with 4 students or less, but when you get into the 6-8 student range it seems to become a clusterfuc% just due to poor vis in the afternoon. I really wish folks would just calm down and wait for the official release to learn the details.....speculation gets us nothing. Im sure the details are being witheld for Legal reasons(active investigation and all).

I really wish folks would just calm down and wait for the official release to learn the details.....speculation gets us nothing. Im sure the details are being witheld for Legal reasons(active investigation and all).
It's a nice idea, but if we waited until the full details of dive accidents were officially released before discussing them in ScubaBoard, this forum would have pretty much no threads whatsoever.

Earlier in the thread I asked this question:

I'm curious about something. I usually read that when a police officer is involved in a shooting, the officer is put on some type of desk duty until there is a review of what happened. How about a dive instructor? Does the agency/agencies that an instructor is certified under suspend their ability to continue to teach until a review can be done on an incident like the one here?

So I just got off the phone with the PADI headquarters here in the US. I was told by a member of their training staff that when there is a fatality during a training session or class, it is their protocol to suspend or put on hold the instructor's status until an investigation can be done. Once that has taken place, they can then reinstate the person so they can go back to teaching/instructing or they could permanently revoke their ability to teach depending on what they find.

From what I have heard and read it was a lot longer than 10 minutes. Didn't someone post the information from her dive computer on here before?

From what I have heard and read it was a lot longer than 10 minutes. Didn't someone post the information from her dive computer on here before?

Yes, I posted what I was told the day it happened, that her computer showed 119 minutes of bottom time. I was later corrected by PM that it was actually 1hr. 19 min. Either way, that's a lot more than 10 min., so I was curious as to where that came from also.

It has been released that she is 35, but the name is being withheld. Not sure why, unless it is at the request of the family and even then I am not sure why.

Eena Karras. Her name isn't being withheld anymore.

We seem to be missing a page bump?

Daru

NVM, must have been reading during a mid mod moment

So we have a dive center that someone has reported does a shoddy job of certifying dive masters and they are involved in a fatality that seems odd, specifically regarding the control the instructor may not have had over his class. Seems coincidental hunh?

So we have a dive center that someone has reported does a shoddy job of certifying dive masters and they are involved in a fatality that seems odd, specifically regarding the control the instructor may not have had over his class. Seems coincidental hunh?

That is one post, and I don't think it is appropriate to draw any such conclusion as you did.

Back
Top Bottom