Accident at Lake Rawlings Sunday 05/27/2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As someone who's likely to dive Lake Rawlings in the near future, I really hope that some people with direct knowledge of what happened will tell us what they know, so we can prevent this in the future.

This does seem to be, at least in part, a failure of the buddy system and direct supervision. I can see how it could happen. Staying together in low visibility is difficult and takes practice, and divers who are fresh out of a pool can't possibly have that practice. Most of our training dives in Fantasy Lake were in low visibility (10-25 feet), and sometimes very low visibility for short stretches (the worst being the nav run on the night dive -- for a short while it was difficult to see your own compass). I lost sight of my buddy more than once, sometimes when swimming in a pack from one area of the lake to another, sometimes just in the hoops course. It's especially difficult when you're all wearing black gear, making it hard to tell who is who. Usually we'd find each other again quickly. Once, the entire class had to surface together because one of the divers (a buddy with DH and I) went to the surface without anyone else seeing her go up. We got chewed out for not noticing that, and deservedly so. Our assistant instructor had to really be a sheepdog (and not always a nice one) to keep everyone together in a small area. Small enough that we kicked each other many times. We had a ratio between 2:1 and 3:1 students to experienced divers (DMs, DMCs, etc.), and they were really working to keep people together.

I do have one idea - what if students in low vis wore colored tank marker lights so you could tell who was who? You could even do it by buddy team - blue team, red team, green team? I think that would make life easier. (Edited to add - not the annoying blinky kind. The kind we have were about $12, don't blink, and come in a few colors.)

Last edited:
My wife and I were discussing this accident and she asked the following question, "The Open Water Manual states that when your buddy is missing you should look for one minute and then surface. Is the protocol different during OW checkout dives?"

It was my wife's takeaway that during instruction it would not be her most "natural" course of action to just surface. I initially started to explain that we're teaching divers to be *generally* self-sufficient (using the buddy system) during OW checkout dives, and then I thought about what she's really asking more and more. I'm wondering to myself, have I ever created a paradoxal situation for student divers if they were to discover a buddy missing?

I don't know, but I can speak to a personal experience with buddy separation during an OW check out dive -- mine.

I got separated on descent from my instructor, and tumbled to the seafloor in current. I found myself in 45 feet of murky water, all alone. I sat up and contemplated the situation. I had a full tank of gas, everything was working, and I had been taught a protocol for buddy separation. I decided that looking for a minute didn't make any sense, because the viz was low and I had no idea at all which direction to look, so I decided to do a controlled ascent to the surface (which, in the end, was probably rather slow). I was fine. My instructor darned near died of heart failure doing six ascents and descents, looking for me.

So, no paradoxical situation there.

The buddy system works

F people are taught how to use it. Among new divers that was the overwhelming thing that came out. Though the system was talked about in the classes it was never really put into practice. Students were not paired up and made responsible for each other.

So true! My husband and I did our cert. dives at Lake Rawlings two years ago. We had a wonderful experience with LOTS of supervision from our instruction team. Our first dive after getting OW was in St. Lucia. The biggest surprise for me was just how difficult it is to be a good dive buddy. It sounds so intuitive in theory. Its much more difficult in practice. Things can happen in an instant

I would also agree with giving people more training in buddy formations. One diver behind the other doesn't work if the person in the back has trouble. One diver holding on to the other's upper arm works great, especially when the vis is terrible or when one diver's concentrating on the compass, but it's annoying. Side by side is good but takes practice, and with a frog kick you have to be more than an arm's length apart. One just above the other is OK, but makes it harder for the person who's lower down to check on their buddy.

Another little thing that students are not always taught well is how to get the attention of everyone else when something's not right. Just something little like where you can attach a carabiner so you can reach it and bang on your tank, and practicing that so it's automatic, would help.

I do have one idea - what if students in low vis wore colored tank marker lights so you could tell who was who? You could even do it by buddy team - blue team, red team, green team? I think that would make life easier.

What a great idea! I know an instructor who uses tank nets to identify the group. Everyone is in black & unless tanks or some other item such as yellow fins or the pink wetsuit is clearly visible it's easy to get separated. I know that some advocate against tank nets because of the chance that the tank will slip out. Also, I've heard people discourage the use of tank light markers because ... well I never really did get a reason. I carry a light & if conditions of low viz happen I use it. It is not just for night diving. I am not suggesting that all OW students carry a light, the instructor &/or assistant could. Whatever happened to all those wild colored wetsuits? Bring them back!

This is always my biggest fear when doing Quarry certs and why I refuse a group larger than 3 in poor Viz.
It is always a very sad day when something like this happens.

Poor Viz, Cold water, Thick wet-suits, Lots of Lead and new divers is always a risk that needs extra effort to mitigate.

Not to drag this back on topic, but can anyone confirm the dive details from anyone else in the group? Run times, depth, dive plan (i.e. start at the metal platform for skills then proceed to ?). At what point during the dive did someone notice she was missing?

Thanks

Not to drag this back on topic, but can anyone confirm the dive details from anyone else in the group? Run times, depth, dive plan (i.e. start at the metal platform for skills then proceed to ?). At what point during the dive did someone notice she was missing?

Thanks

I was at the lake that day, and I have posted all the information that was available to me that day. Her computer showed 1Hr 19Min bottom time, 900 psi still left. I was told that when she was found her regulator was still in her mouth. If this is true, it started me thinking about the possibility of a pre-existing, perhaps unkown health issue possibly being at the root of the trouble she was having.

Unfortunately I just don't have the information as far as how long they were on the platform or exactly what they were doing when she got separated. Seeing as how the group was all new divers, they may not know to come here, or perhaps the wound is still a little too fresh. This is just one more thing a DM could help us with. I mean hopefully a good DM could prevent this from happening, but short of that, helping us learn, making us all safer in the future.

In the end, it may just be a matter of right place right time to be able to find out the details of just what happened.

I do think it would help is Instructors pushed the importance of close buddy protocols early & often. In my OW class, I knew I wanted to please the Inst and get my card - with my buddy being secondary.

After OW, so many seem to think that "meet you on the bottom/top" is ok, been there myself - and buddy failures are included in the two Florida Keys deaths of the weekend...
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/422435-quarry-fatality-tavernier-florida.html
and http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/422039-diver-missing-off-upper-keys.html
along with many others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom