Accident at Lake Rawlings Sunday 05/27/2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I think you mentioned this earlier. How do you know this? Did someone else mention it too?

This is his information from his website before it was removed:

David Hays - Co-Owner, Master Instructor

pics_david.jpg

"Diving rules, but having unforgettable surface intervals contribute to making truly enjoyable experiences of a lifetime!" From the Great Wall of China to the Sphinx in Egypt and the Sydney Opera house, from cultural festivals in Yap to the street markets of Singapore and other memorable locations too numerous to mention, diving will change your life and provide substance to expand your perspective of the world. If you're ready to get out of "the ordinary," join Janet and me on our next adventure.

PADI Master Instructor
NAUI Instructor Trainer
DAN Instructor Trainer
EFR Instructor Trainer
SDI Instructor
PSI Inspector

That vis is representative of the visibility the class would have left in shallow areas on the way to the lake bottom. If you go to Rawlings on the get in half-off Wednesday, the lake looks exactly like that because there are no Open Water Students. The video shows a couple experienced Tech Divers with proper fin kicks hovering over a silty bottom without causing an organic cloud - no surprise there.

Shoot that video on Memorial Day Weekend with five or six dive shops doing Open Water Diver with probably 50+ students, and I assure you we had approximately an arm-length of viz in that organic material soup on the lake bottom.

Here is a view of that same bus, with a diver in it, in Lake Rawlings on May 27th. Not taken by me, but by someone I know. It's not terrible vis, but the bus faded off into the haze.

BusVisibility.png
BusVisibility2.png

^^^ See there you go, that's about what it looked like in the shallow area. Obviously no problem there, but fins on bottom in the organic goo, viz = problem.

I believe the current NAUI website lists active instructors, and this is automatic. Inactive status, etc. does not show up when you use the search tool for instructors in a given area.

I believe the current NAUI website lists active instructors, and this is automatic. Inactive status, etc. does not show up when you use the search tool for instructors in a given area.

He's listed as J Hays on the NAUI site as an Instructor Trainer. He clearly has the credential he claims to have with NAUI. No issues there...

He's listed as J Hays on the NAUI site as an Instructor Trainer. He clearly has the credential he claims to have with NAUI. No issues there...

This is what I see on the NAUI site....is there more somewhere?
Member Number43142
Membership Origination6/25/2004
Membership Expiration12/31/2012
Membership StatusActive
Membership TypeInstructor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom