Accident at Lake Rawlings Sunday 05/27/2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you look at the bottom that says NAUI Website
The screen shot is challenging, but that means "was posted to the PADI Consumer Advisory site yesterday" is incorrect...?

Using the Interweb...

Splash's Termination from PADI was posted on the PADI Special Advisory Website yesterday (despite being dated 7-Jun-12)
(J) David Hays was expelled as a PADI Member (covered earlier in the thread)
J (David) Hays is a NAUI Instructor Trainer in good standing
Janet Hays is a PADI MSDT in good standing
Janet Hays is a NAUI Instructor in good standing

All this information is posted online at Naui.org, and/or Padi.com respectively.

Highwing, I see it now. Confusing with two J. Hays. Hope that this tragedy doesn't negatively impact the other instructors/employees of Splash that had no part in the accident. It has changed my student:instructor ratio thinking for quarries.

I was wondering in a case like this, how well does the "Liability Waiver" that you sign before taking the class hold up.

I was wondering in a case like this, how well does the "Liability Waiver" that you sign before taking the class hold up.

I know it's a long thread, but you will find that this was discussed at some length earlier.

Apparently Virginia is a state where it really doesn't hold up at all. Even in other states it would probably not hold up. The waiver really just prevents the student from making frivolous lawsuits. If the instructor clearly screwed up and violates standard instructional procedures, it has no value.

I know it's a long thread, but you will find that this was discussed at some length earlier.

Apparently Virginia is a state where it really doesn't hold up at all. Even in other states it would probably not hold up. The waiver really just prevents the student from making frivolous lawsuits. If the instructor clearly screwed up and violates standard instructional procedures, it has no value.

Thanks. I couldn't remember if it had been discussed or not.

I may have missed it, but have they said what happened, have any of the students in the class posted anything?

When you're in the dive business you hear things.

For instance, I hear that the PADI instructor was out of the water, and out of his drysuit before he ever noticed that his student was missing.

I also hear that you can be expelled from PADI if you lie to the PADI investigator about where you were when you notice YOUR STUDENT isn't with you. If you tell the investigator that you were on your safety stop when you were really on the beach with your drysuit already off, well, that's a lie.

I hear that if you are on the beach yukking it up with your other students when other instructors from other groups point out that you started with 6 and now you only have 5 and you blow off those other instructors, PADI will send an investigator to talk to you.

That's what I hear, anyway.

When you're in the dive business you hear things.

For instance, I hear that the PADI instructor was out of the water, and out of his drysuit before he ever noticed that his student was missing.

I also hear that you can be expelled from PADI if you lie to the PADI investigator about where you were when you notice YOUR STUDENT isn't with you. If you tell the investigator that you were on your safety stop when you were really on the beach with your drysuit already off, well, that's a lie.

I hear that if you are on the beach yukking it up with your other students when other instructors from other groups point out that you started with 6 and now you only have 5 and you blow off those other instructors, PADI will send an investigator to talk to you.

That's what I hear, anyway.

It is hard to imagine how that could happen if the victim's husband was her dive buddy. You would think he would ave brought it up a bit before that, raising something of a commotion when he did.

It is hard to imagine how that could happen if the victim's husband was her dive buddy. You would think he would ave brought it up a bit before that, raising something of a commotion when he did.

You would think the husband/dive buddy would have noticed that she was missing alot sooner, like minutes after she disappeared. Meaning if he was doing a task, no he wouldn't but a soon as he got done, why wouldn't he be looking for her.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom