Accident at Lake Rawlings Sunday 05/27/2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone know if the shop is still open for business at this point? I was also wondering if folks have paid for upcoming classes will they just be certified under NAUI now or some other org?

I don't know. I've been tempted to stop by or call out of curiosity but I thought they have enough going on they don't need that.

I know PADI instructors can issue certs without a shop on an independent basis. Maybe there is a way for the other instructors to take care of finishing their current students that way.

I can imagine the confusion of having all students carrying noise makers in low viz when one goes off.

We really don't know what happened but no, I would not do a SS with a missing diver.

No we really don't, it's just so sad.

I don't know. I've been tempted to stop by or call out of curiosity but I thought they have enough going on they don't need that.

I know PADI instructors can issue certs without a shop on an independent basis. Maybe there is a way for the other instructors to take care of finishing their current students that way.
Yes, the store is open, and PADI instructors are issuing PADI certs under their own member numbers, not the store number. In effect, the store is operating the infrastructure (classroom, pool, equipment, money) for an instructor-led training activity. Interesting experiment.

Having been on the beach next to the husband/buddy and watched his emotions as First Responders, EMTs and MDs worked on his wife, I would never in a million years put him in the same catogory as the guy from Australia.

+1. I was there and also saw him as this was unfolding.There is no way that this is anything but a horrible accident.

I would guess that the recent high profile case that occurred in Australia and just went thru the legal process here in the states has raised the level of law enforcement investigations of scuba related deaths, especially where there is a relationship between victim & dive buddy/witness beyond the "insta-buddy" type.
I think that opinion was offered only as an appraisal on how the authorities may be handling things, not as an accusation.

Yes, the store is open, and PADI instructors are issuing PADI certs under their own member numbers, not the store number. In effect, the store is operating the infrastructure (classroom, pool, equipment, money) for an instructor-led training activity. Interesting experiment.

You mean instructors actually running the class and the shop just providing logistics? Been doing that for three years. Works well.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I think that opinion was offered only as an appraisal on how the authorities may be handling things, not as an accusation.

DandyDon, you are correct. That was only an appraisal of the investigation, and how things have changed after the Austrailia case.

One thing I've had to ask myself is how did the instructor know almost exactly where to send the recovery team? I can't get past that issue. Twenty-seven acres of lake to search and you put the recovery team so on the spot that Eena was recovered in 300 seconds in visibility that was so bad that her tank wasn't visible from her fins? Hmm...

I don't think that's so surprising. I would guess he just told them the route the class took, and they started along it, and she was near the beginning, right? It's not unusual to know the exact route you took.

Let's not get overly dramatic and speculative here. It's bad enough just on the face of things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom