Adding a chest strap to a BP/W setup (xDeep Zeos)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you really think a hipster goatee will help?

:D

I agree with what others have said about the straps being too tight. Think of it this way. The reason to add a chest strap is to avoid the shoulder straps slipping off your shoulders because they are too wide apart. That is not the case you are describing. It might very well come to that once you loosen the straps to get more mobility. But that would come later.

If you want to add one, DGX has them very cheap. Just thread each end on to a D-ring on the shoulder straps. Part number DR-BC2096 on this page. https://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/dr_bpw.shtml#1730

I saw a commercial diver not too long ago come out of the water. He cleans boat bottoms and needs a lot of shoulder mobility and he was using a simple plastic backpack and harness. He added a quick release clip that was tied to one D-ring and clipped across to the other. I'm sure he has spent many thousands of hours working underwater and his gear was arranged for functionality and (probably comfort). If he put a cross chest device on his harness.. it was not for show or because he didn't know how to adjust his gear..

Eh.. my LDS has a seamstress on staff. I had them sew a chest strap onto the harness webbing for me. Makes things more comfortable. For me, it's mostly just a matter of weight distribution when on land and geared up. Not even a problem in a wetsuit, but I prefer diving in shorts or a skin or maybe a lavacore.

My diverite "deluxe" harness came with a chest strap and uses a d-ring type connection to attach it.

The reason to add a chest strap is to avoid the shoulder straps slipping off your shoulders because they are too wide apart.
Which also can be solved by re-threading the harness so the straps cross behind your neck, i.e. the left shoulder strap through the right slot and vice versa.

There's more than one way to remove the hide from a domestic feline...

I have the Xdeep Ghost as well for travel, and I don't have mobility issues there.

And the difference between the two harnesses is.....?

I could be wrong but I think the difference is not in the harness but in the exposure protection. If both rigs were set up at the dive shop while the OP was wearing street clothes it makes sense the travel rig will fit better because he is not wearing as thick exposure protection. The BAUE photo shows the adjustment in a dry suit not in street clothes. Another possibility is the slots for the straps may be different on the Ghost, from what I remember it uses a rather unique backplate.

I could be wrong but I think the difference is not in the harness but in the exposure protection. If both rigs were set up at the dive shop while the OP was wearing street clothes it makes sense the travel rig will fit better because he is not wearing as thick exposure protection. The BAUE photo shows the adjustment in a dry suit not in street clothes. Another possibility is the slots for the straps may be different on the Ghost, from what I remember it uses a rather unique backplate.

I was wearing my dry suit when it was adjusted. But the issue is that the straps pull my shoulders back and inhibits the mobility of my arms.

Now since the straps are connected to a backplate (more towards the center), there is no chance of it sliding off. I just have an issue with mobility. Thanks to those who provided suggestions/possible solutions.

You could replace the slides holding your d rings with a couple of these. They allow you to add a chest strap from 1 inch webbing or bungee and a bolt snap.

Originally made for sidemount rigs to clip the chest strap and bungee loops to for the tanks, they work with standard harnesses as well. With a sidemount rig you get an even pull from the tanks and chest strap. That way the shoulder straps don't get pulled crooked.

You can cut the outside loop off or use it to clip something and keep the d ring less cluttered. I have a BPW set up with them using the inside for a chest strap and the outside on the left has a bungee to run the LP inflator hose through. The one on the right has a surgical tubing octo holder for when I am testing conventional reg set ups or teaching in the pool with a non long hose configuration.

They come flat and you can bend the loops if you like. Water jet cut 316 stainless steel. The ones now have a little larger slots for the webbing. This one was a prototype and the slots were a little snug.

If you want a set the price is 20.00 per set of two. I make these myself and .100 stainless is not cheap. Nor is the water jet time coupled with deburring them by hand. I just got a tumbler so that will make it easier. I have a few sets on hand now.

slide prototype.jpg

Thanks Jim. Just sent you a PM. This looks like it would be a great solution.

You could replace the slides holding your d rings with a couple of these. They allow you to add a chest strap from 1 inch webbing or bungee and a bolt snap.

Originally made for sidemount rigs to clip the chest strap and bungee loops to for the tanks, they work with standard harnesses as well. With a sidemount rig you get an even pull from the tanks and chest strap. That way the shoulder straps don't get pulled crooked.

You can cut the outside loop off or use it to clip something and keep the d ring less cluttered. I have a BPW set up with them using the inside for a chest strap and the outside on the left has a bungee to run the LP inflator hose through. The one on the right has a surgical tubing octo holder for when I am testing conventional reg set ups or teaching in the pool with a non long hose configuration.

They come flat and you can bend the loops if you like. Water jet cut 316 stainless steel. The ones now have a little larger slots for the webbing. This one was a prototype and the slots were a little snug.

If you want a set the price is 20.00 per set of two. I make these myself and .100 stainless is not cheap. Nor is the water jet time coupled with deburring them by hand. I just got a tumbler so that will make it easier. I have a few sets on hand now.

View attachment 206675

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom