Adding a Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whatever you get do the gas calculations to work out what it can and cant get you out of so you're aware of the limits.

Whatever size bottle will have different maximum depths where it'll contain enough breathable gas to get up and you really need to know these limits. Far too many people just buy a pony, dont do any math and dive with it without ever realising it wont help them due to their dive profile so they have a false sense of security.

And if you have a wing/harness side sling is the only real sensible option to mount it - by far the best option. Although you dont have to walk with it on land, a pony is a small light bottle and its really no difficulty entering with that clipped off to the harness.

Whatever you get do the gas calculations to work out what it can and cant get you out of so you're aware of the limits.

Absolutely! From Spectrum's old post with the calculations, I need to realize that somewhere around 60' is the maximum for a 19 cf pony. And that might involve skipping the safety stop.

But it really gets down to bringing a pony I can carry versus not bringing one at all. The weight starts to add up. I really want to buy another boat.

The entire setup isn't very costly (maybe $200) as I have plenty of regulators. It is worth putting it together and heading down to 60' and trying it out.

Thanks to all for their suggestions!

Richard

... So, I am thinking in terms of 13 cf or 19 cf cylinder but I am open to suggestions.

... If you have suggestions re: how to mount the pony to the BP/W (which specific parts to buy), I would certainly like to know.

Thanks!
Richard

If you follow the rule of thumb of not diving deeper than your cylinder's cuft, you're good to 100'. This doesn't give you much bottom time if you are turning at sensible pressures. However, I also assume that most of your diving is above 100'. I really hesitate to show how I make my decisions, but applaud your approach so I will share just this once. The attachment is a screenshot of my home-brew simulator set for 100', an RMV of 0.8, EAN 32 etc. -Nice for showing dynamic interactions, but I still check everything against published charts and data. A 19 cuft is what I would take for all the same reasons. You will have to weigh the risks and benefits and make your own choice.

Best regards.

The attachment is a screenshot of my home-brew simulator set for 100', an RMV of 0.8, EAN 32 etc. -Nice for showing dynamic interactions, but I still check everything against published charts and data. A 19 cuft is what I would take for all the same reasons. You will have to weigh the risks and benefits and make your own choice.

Best regards.

Very neat simulator!

I found a nice mounting system at Dive Rite Express so I think the 19 cf will be my first attempt. I'll try to get it rigged up some time after Christmas.

Richard

Thanks, I'd share, but there is that huge liability thing...

You should be happy with the pony & rigging. If you are moving to a single from doubles, I too would suggest an H-valve for your single. That way you can swap back and forth (single - doubles) without changing hose configs AND you have a backup primary reg feeding your secondary. That's what I do for inlet and Winter diving.

Thanks, I'd share, but there is that huge liability thing...

You should be happy with the pony & rigging. If you are moving to a single from doubles, I too would suggest an H-valve for your single. That way you can swap back and forth (single - doubles) without changing hose configs AND you have a backup primary reg feeding your secondary. That's what I do for inlet and Winter diving.

I'm in the 'what's that old guy doing in the water?' end of the age spectrum. I won't be diving doubles and I won't be diving deep.

I understand the liability thing and, were I you, I wouldn't put it out there either. But it is neat!

From above, you can see that my needs are simple. I'm just looking for a way to become independent of a buddy. Not necessarily solo diving but not dependent either.

Richard

Reading the thread re: getting rid of a pony bottle, I am thinking about adding one. I am only interested in being self-sufficient for recreational, no-decompression diving. In other words, I can make a direct no-stop ascent to the surface.

So, I am thinking in terms of 13 cf or 19 cf cylinder but I am open to suggestions. I am too old to dive doubles and will primarily use a single HP 100. I MIGHT need to fill a 50# lift bag from the pony should I happen to have a complete wing failure.

I would appreciate thoughts on proper sizing. Weight is a serious consideration. The rig will be used with a DSS BP/W. If you have suggestions re: how to mount the pony to the BP/W (which specific parts to buy), I would certainly like to know.

Thanks!
Richard

Just go with a Spare Air! It's the greatest invention since the regulator itself.

Just go with a Spare Air! It's the greatest invention since the regulator itself.

Emoticon please....

Dave C

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom