Adding a Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just go with a Spare Air! It's the greatest invention since the regulator itself.

Emoticon please....

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Sometimes, I think there should be a bomb-or-grenade-about-to-explode emoticon. (Mental image of someone shouting "GRENADE!" and everyone scrambling ot get out of the [-]foxhole[/-]forum before the explosion. :eyebrow:)

Sometimes, I think there should be a bomb-or-grenade-about-to-explode emoticon. (Mental image of someone shouting "GRENADE!" and everyone scrambling ot get out of the [-]foxhole[/-]forum before the explosion. :eyebrow:)

:popcorn: conveys the same forum situation, except the poster has a different attitude about what to do in response.

So with that said,

:popcorn:

Interesting that you say you are at the end of the age spectrum so you won't be diving deep or doubles. I tend to be on the older side on dive boats I frequent these days (OK, I am usually the oldest guy on the boat - 67), but I don't have any problems within recreational limits of either depth or time. Moreover, others who dive with me (who have more serious external indicia of aging - e.g. heart problems of one sort or another) don't seem to have any problems within recreational limits either. Since you seem to have been diving for some time, did something happen that made you decide that 60 feet is as far as you think you should go?

FWIW, my pony bottle is 30 cuft and I wouldn't have it any smaller <g>!

(I ask this for my edification. If you don't want to say anything in a public forum, I would understand.)

Regards,
<TED>

I'm in the 'what's that old guy doing in the water?' end of the age spectrum. I won't be diving doubles and I won't be diving deep.

I understand the liability thing and, were I you, I wouldn't put it out there either. But it is neat!

From above, you can see that my needs are simple. I'm just looking for a way to become independent of a buddy. Not necessarily solo diving but not dependent either.

Richard

Interesting that you say you are at the end of the age spectrum so you won't be diving deep or doubles. I tend to be on the older side on dive boats I frequent these days (OK, I am usually the oldest guy on the boat - 67), but I don't have any problems within recreational limits of either depth or time. Moreover, others who dive with me (who have more serious external indicia of aging - e.g. heart problems of one sort or another) don't seem to have any problems within recreational limits either. Since you seem to have been diving for some time, did something happen that made you decide that 60 feet is as far as you think you should go?

FWIW, my pony bottle is 30 cuft and I wouldn't have it any smaller <g>!

(I ask this for my edification. If you don't want to say anything in a public forum, I would understand.)

Regards,
<TED>

I'll turn 63 on Sunday. These diving limits are self-imposed; I realize there's nothing magic about one depth or another within recreational limits. I've been there, done that and have the T-shirts and photos to prove it. But diving today is different than when I was younger. Among other things, I want to dive with my grandson and, by edict, he will be staying in the 30' end of the ocean for a couple of years. So, that's where I will stay.

Perhaps in a couple of years we will get dry suits and dive a little deeper. I'm in no hurry; four drysuits will make a serious dent in my retirement.

However, age is thought to be a contributing factor to DCS. I would prefer to avoid that.

Richard

Well, I can certainly appreciate diving with your grandson. I dive with my daughter (now 16) and we do what she wants to do. Moreover, as you point out, there is nothing magic about going deeper. The only reason to do it is if there is something deeper that interests you.

Good luck to you in your retirement. (You have more courage than I. I don't dare retire <g>!)

Best,
<TED>

I'll turn 63 on Sunday. These diving limits are self-imposed; I realize there's nothing magic about one depth or another within recreational limits. I've been there, done that and have the T-shirts and photos to prove it. But diving today is different than when I was younger. Among other things, I want to dive with my grandson and, by edict, he will be staying in the 30' end of the ocean for a couple of years. So, that's where I will stay.

Perhaps in a couple of years we will get dry suits and dive a little deeper. I'm in no hurry; four drysuits will make a serious dent in my retirement.

However, age is thought to be a contributing factor to DCS. I would prefer to avoid that.

Richard

rstofer -

Both my husband and I dive with a 30 cf. Both of us "sling" it. We also stay within our NDL's on each dive so do not use this for "extra air" as I've seen some divers do. Long story short, it was an important piece of equipment to have last summer. For whatever reason, I decided not to dive with mine. At 123' my regulator free flowed. I called my buddy back and went to his pony. Not 15 seconds later, his regulator free flowed. We were able to share air and make our safety stop all on his pony. I will never choose not to take mine again. On a side note, there was a manufactures defect in the regulators (We actually were asked to duplicate this by the manufacturer and with the assistance of our LDS got seven more to free flow under the same conditions - cold and deep).

The 30 cf isn't a big hassle. I'm 5'2", 102 lbs and dive with a 100 and it doesn't bother me at all.

DOkie,

Thanks for the input. Right now I am more concerned about rig weight than pony capacity. After all, if I stay in the shallow end of the ocean, how much air do I need? Actually, a 19 cf is probably far too large if I really stay at 30'. Were I diving to 120+ feet, I would certainly consider a 30 cf if not a 40 cf. You just never know when things will turn sideways.

The rig weight issue results from gearing up in the parking lot, trudging across the lot, down the stairs, through the sand and into the surf. If I were diving from a boat, weight would not be an issue.

Richard

After all, if I stay in the shallow end of the ocean, how much air do I need?

That's the heart of the matter. Only the individual can work out their SAC and work out from what depth a specific size tank will be effective at. Once you've done that then you KNOW what size bottle you need.

my jan/feb issue of scuba arrived yesterday. have not really read it yet but there was a new product in there which apparently replaces pony bottles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom