Adding a Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm still deciding between a 19 and a 30 (I dive off of NC which can reach the rec depth limits, but I don't plan to go tech anytime soon). So I'm doing SAC calculations etc, and weighing opinions (a DI at my LDS has a story of coming up 100ft on a 19, seeing it's the wrong buoy line, then going back down and up the correct one to avoid an against-current surface swim). not saying i would ever do that, but i think the 30 might become too cumbersome (i'm a minimalist but haven't moved to bp/w yet). then again, if i did want it as a stage bottle....

sorry for my stream of consciousness... my real question is do most of you just get it filled regularly (is it the same price?) or do you run a hose from a main tank? if so, what would i be looking for to purchase that?

thanks, Luke

Reading the thread re: getting rid of a pony bottle, I am thinking about adding one. I am only interested in being self-sufficient for recreational, no-decompression diving. In other words, I can make a direct no-stop ascent to the surface.

So, I am thinking in terms of 13 cf or 19 cf cylinder but I am open to suggestions. I am too old to dive doubles and will primarily use a single HP 100. I MIGHT need to fill a 50# lift bag from the pony should I happen to have a complete wing failure.

I would appreciate thoughts on proper sizing. Weight is a serious consideration. The rig will be used with a DSS BP/W. If you have suggestions re: how to mount the pony to the BP/W (which specific parts to buy), I would certainly like to know.

Thanks!
Richard

Dive Rite makes a part called the remora that works well.

Remember when filling a lift bag the volume of air inside that bag will expand at a rate related to your depth therefore it is not necessary to fill completely unless you are extremely shallow.

I have used a 19 cu/ft in the past and the size works well for the volume of air available.

Hope this helps.

Just go with a Spare Air! It's the greatest invention since the regulator itself.

Right - it's the only invention that allows you to run out of air TWICE on the same dive!

:eyebrow:

Right - it's the only invention that allows you to run out of air TWICE on the same dive!

:eyebrow:

What? Are you kidding me? So they aren't lifesavers? How sad to learn this. :shakehead:

hello richard i always carry a 3 liter pony on ever dive , mine is clamped directly to my main tank with the second stage under my right arm across my chest and clipped to my left hand side , so as ntot gey it confused with my alternate(i have 3 2nd stages)haveing almost run out of air at 35meters my ponie saved my butt and i would never go diving without it , that said iam interested in some of the side slung options and may try them out this season .All my diving is done in england where viz and the cold can play a part in consumption,Anyway happy new year and all the best for your future dives.

Back
Top Bottom