Advice please on student anxiety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paco,

Right on! Problem solved! Voila! Now, you two go have fun and dive some cool, exotic, paradise together!

diamondvp once bubbled...
I did finish my class and did everything I was suppose to during my 4 dives for my certification and I will get my card. I think I just need more pool time to get comfortable swimming without a mask and doing emergency ascends. I do not feel confident doing those because I had to take a breath twice from 12 ft. I don't understand how I'm running out of air since the air in my lungs is suppose to expand. Maybe I'm letting too much air out when I'm saying ahhh. I don't know. I only did it twice in class and both times didn't do it right. If I ever had to do an emergency ascend on a dive I might as well drown because I don't think I'll make it to the top and the fact doing it scares me I might panic trying. There is zero comfort there.

Look, this is a blatant violation of training standards and you should contact the agency. Mastery of these skills is required prior to certification. By definition you did not finish the class. They just gave you a card without teaching you to dive. There is just no way to overstate the importance of mastering these basic skills. Diving can be safe but it isn't if you don't have the basics down. You were cheated by a non-diving idiot and it doesn't at all sound like you're ready to dive independantly.

Tell this same story to the agency and go find some one who can teach you diving. Please.

I have to agree with mike, in my limited experience I have been kicked in the face, had problems with air supply and had to replace masks.

These are common situations that with proper training can be resolved without panic or rushing to the surface. It is not a criticism of you ability but of the rushed and pushy nature of your classes. Since qualifying very few of my dives have been less than 12m with the majority below 20M. Please find a way to complete your skills and become proficient and confident in doing them, you will enjoy diving much more, you can do this in a pool with a buddy or through taking more instruction.

But please name and shame your LDS to the agency at least and try and prevent someone else doing the same.

cheers

Conor

Paco, Congrats on your wife learning her skills and getting comfortable!

To the others, thanks for the advice, I do have to go back to the dive store and get my paperwork done Sat. so I will talk w/ them then and see what can be done. As far as me diving without these skills there is no way I'll do it so no worries about me diving. I know your not criticizing my abilities. I too don't think I am capable of diving without further training. My thought is if you think you cannot do something then you most likely won't be able to do it. I don't think I can dive safely so I rather not go there until I get further training. When I am comfortable and can do all my skills w/ ease then I'll be ready.

MikeFerrara:
Look, this is a blatant violation of training standards and you should contact the agency. Mastery of these skills is required prior to certification. By definition you did not finish the class. They just gave you a card without teaching you to dive. There is just no way to overstate the importance of mastering these basic skills. Diving can be safe but it isn't if you don't have the basics down. You were cheated by a non-diving idiot and it doesn't at all sound like you're ready to dive independantly.

Tell this same story to the agency and go find some one who can teach you diving. Please.

Can you please tell me where it states in the instructor manual or OW books that all skills need to be mastered prior to OW checkout dives? I am not promoting what that LDS did...I just would like to have facts before I tell my students that they need to be masters of skills before they can trust themselves. Thanks in Advance

psst - this thread is over three years old.....

shellbackdiver1:
Can you please tell me where it states in the instructor manual or OW books that all skills need to be mastered prior to OW checkout dives? I am not promoting what that LDS did...I just would like to have facts before I tell my students that they need to be masters of skills before they can trust themselves. Thanks in Advance

Well, mastery is required before certification. All the skills must be learned in the pool prior to OW dives. I don't take students to OW until I'm confident they will pass with no problems. Therefore, I require mastery in CF prior to the OW cert dives. I'm not seeing where that has to be written in black and white.

You shouldn't have to be able to point to a line in the instructor manual before you can adequately explain to these students why mastery and confidence are interrelated.

YMMV,

Rachel

P.S. Yes, it's 3 years old but the question is still valid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom