Advice wanted: Scubapro first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caity

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So, thanks to my board buddies couv an zky I am diving with 109's. Am now one of the cool kids. ;-)

I want to get a scubapro first stage and am curious to know ya'lls opinion of the best one? Are there vintage first stages that are decent to dive in or should I buy new? Do they sell just first stages? According to my LDS they are only sold with second stages.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shop eBay and pick up a nice mk10 or a late model mk5, great regs for about $35 and easy to get parts for DIY.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

I have Scubapro Mk 5 parts new,My Mk 10 has over 1,000 dives on it.
Jerry

MK-5 or 10s are fine but lets not forget the MK-2. It's more or less the first SP reg (and still in the line), it's simple, dependable and easy to service. While not balanced, when coupled with a 109 it will work quite nicely and you can find the older ones for cheap often times on ebay.

Hey, your buddies got you into the 109's, so it's THEIR responsibility to fix you up with a nice big yoke MK5 or a MK10. And when the time comes for servicing, it's also THEIR responsibility to deal with that God forsaken HP o-ring.
:)

The SCUBAPRO MK 5. It set the standard!

nostalgia - MK-5
good performance - MK-10
rugged simplicity - MK-2 (on my pony)
cold water - MK-17

Nothing at all wrong with the 5 & 10, in fact many of the competition's current firsts are clones of these. I have dove almost exclusively MK-10s. I love the looks I get now when I gear up with my 109's, and really love the extra special looks when the MK-17/156 are pulled out of the bag for a dive....

Its all about the "cool" factor (and, as Zung has said - perhaps the 2nd or 3rd best breathing reg ever made)...... enjoy it!

And there is always a Mk7. Unless you are now having trim problems with being feet heavy or can move weight towards your feet, it could make you into a sand dart. But they do tend to attract attention and discussion. I'd go with a Mk5 but you do need to make sure it has a 5 LP port turret, a heavy yoke, and 7/16th inch HP ports. The Mk10 takes care of all those features.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom