Advise on selecting a regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you ask whats the best reg.
10 people wil give ya 10 different ansers.
sherwood is a great cold water reg, its simple and cheap to maintain, and is a simple solid design...you wont be dissapoinmted with that,
just for the sake of chiming in.
i dive Scubapro. Mk25.s on my doubles, with a D400 primary, and a G250 alt. my stage has a MK16 G250.
i plan on retiering the D400 after thios season
im thinkin og goin with mabye jetsterams on my back and puttin the mk 25s on my deco, and travel gass bottles.
but thats just me

As for your octo, match it up. Keeping the same brands together always works in the long run...

Have your LDS hook up some different regs to some tanks and breathe through them. I haven't breathed through every reg out there, but I have experienced a few different ones. So far my favorite is the Legend LX. It almost breathes for you! Aqualung also makes a Supreme version for cold water diving. It uses the same first stage, but the second stage has a few extras for cold water. I finally just bought a couple for myself (primary and back up) and can't wait to get them in the water. The closest LDS to me only sells the Legend and Sherwoods, so servicing is easy too.

I personally have a Aqualung Titan LX and really like it. They are not very difficult to service either.

parrothead600:
I am new to the diving world & I am slowly aquiring equipment. I would like some opinions on regulators. Most of my diving will be done in Lake Michigan & Lake Superior, with temperatures around the 40 degree F mark. At the present time, I have no plans for ice diving but I don't want to rule it out either. I am considering purchasing a Sherwood Blizzard regulator. Would this be a good choice? What are the pro's & con's? Will there be any problems with this regulator in warmer water? Any info will be appreciated.
The Blizzard is a great reg, simple design, easy to work on and dependable. IMHO, from one Parrothead to another, it would be a good buy.
C-Dawg

I am a grad student so don't have much money. I've checking around and look like I can either buy a used but higher end regulator or a new but lower end one. I'm leaning towards used ones just because I may get a better performance out of it if it's taken care of while a new one will come with the warranty (I guess) but may not be as easy breathing and may end up with limited options if I want to do cold water for example.

What do you guys think about it?

You might try looking for a scubapro MK10 with either G250 2nd stage or balanced adjustable. (old metal case) Either one is a real classic; check out the thread "upgrading my MK2 etc...) on this forum.

Back
Top Bottom