Aeris Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Atmos 2 does the same thing. Ascending 2-3 feet to follow my buddy, pretty slowly, and that thing is already in yellow. I think if I try to ascend slow enough to keep it in green, I'll run out of air...

My instructor was laughing at it during my OW checkouts.

Ascend speed meter (not only the gauge telling me slow/fast) will be pretty useful.

On a Suunto Vyper Air I have discovered that with 1s(or 2s? - I don't remember right now the smallest value) sampling rate it was recording a lot of spikes in the vertical speed, even though I kept the ascent graphical indicator in the "right" zone. When I changed it to 10s, the speeds recorded were more consistent with the real "average" speed that I was computing from the depth graphic in my mind. Probably I was having very short (like 1s) faster movements, followed by pauses - fine as average, but noticed with a small sample rate.

Hi,

I have an Aeris Epic wireless computer. When I upload my profile to the computer every once in a while a small portion of my ascent will show red. But I can usually correlate that to some incident during the dive where I may indeed have ascended a few feet too rapidly.

Cheers,
Doug

It's become a goal of mine to complete a dive with my XR-1 and not see an ascent warning later in my history log. I actually remembered to creep through the 60 ft range yesterday without moving my arm. A minute later I brought my arm up to see - three bars flash. Oh well, someday.

Would be nice if Aeris could fix that little quirk.

I don't disagree, but I always thought it was not a bad thing to be reminded to keep a slow ascent rate. With that said, I did disable the audible alarm, very annoying. Some of my buddies have had a bit of fun at my expense about the beep-beep-beep before I turned that off. :lotsalove:

Otherwise, since as far as I know the computer does not penalize for "rapid" ascent, it does not bother me to have the reminder. I can always ignore it. I guess the flip side is that, aside from the ascent rate, I believe the Aeris computers are a bit more liberal with regards to bottom time vs alot of the other brands out there.

...Just swishing the computer vertically can make it think you are moving vertically fast. The sampling rate is much higher than the rate it which it logs data points. It will flip out by moving up a short distance quickly. An over head wave with the wrong timing can exacerbate it.
Pete
I have the same problem with my Aeris Atmos 2. ... I have had some dives where I have exceeded the time, according to my profile, but it is usually when I raise my computer up to read the display upon the ascent.
I have an Atmos II and notice that if I move my arm a little too quickly to look at it, the ascent icons start flashing (and the download shows RED)....probably not an "ascent" issue.
... I actually remembered to creep through the 60 ft range yesterday without moving my arm. A minute later I brought my arm up to see - three bars flash. Oh well, someday.

I use the XR2 and have the same problem. I am almost positive it is the ascent rate plus the action of moving my arm up that sets it off. If I'm very concious and lock my arms while in trim and observe it, I'm good to go. If I'm swimming/heading back to the entry and bring my arm up to look at it, it's blinking red a couple times then settles in again. Other than that quirk, I love my XR2. (For Now) :D

I think that is annoying that when you are below the 30fpm, the computer shows the ascent scale maxed and flashing. I ascend far slower than most, yet my computer is always flashing at me. I can remember when 60fpm was the standard.

Back
Top Bottom