After almost 50 years, I've finally seen it all!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for sharing that story.... shocking and hilarious at the same time :D

Much as I think that the general level of scuba instruction is inadequate, I don't see this one as a failure of instruction.

As the saying goes, "you can't fix stupid."

Yes and no, IMHO.

Instruction can put emphasis on the need for standardised checks and procedures, in recognition that "stupid happens".

If a instructor doesn't stress the need for checks, then students won't understand that need - and are more likely to slip into complacency and negligence at a faster rate. I think we all have a tenancy to slide towards complacence in our diving - until something happens to give us a wake up call.

Well, I've walked to the water without my weight belt on, and it weighs 20 lbs . . . I guess if I had my weights on, I might not miss the presence of a tank. (Not!)

No words. Even if you were not certified, how could you forget the thing that allows you to BREATH! Yes, the tank could have been closed, empty but forgotten? :rofl3:

Made me laugh out loud when I read this, :rofl3:

This sounds like a good way to troll people. I might try this at my next dive at a busy site.

+1 for Natural Selection. :shocked2:

As mentioned above, you can't fix stupid.

Ambulance 1, Buddy Check 0

Last edited:
Well, I've walked to the water without my weight belt on, and it weighs 20 lbs . . . I guess if I had my weights on, I might not miss the presence of a tank. (Not!)

forgot my weight belt, done, a couple of times.
but forgot a tank, very funny !

Twenty years ago I jump off a crowded dive boat only to realize after a failed attempt at submerging that I had forgotten my weights in my haste to be the first diver in the water.

As I climbed back on board to gather my weights all the divers (25+) were laughing AT me and I have never been able to forget how silly and embarassed I felt.

Oh my! I don't care to even fathom the level of humiliation I would feel if I ever forgot my tank.

FB-Florida Scuba Diver

Twenty years ago I jump off a crowded dive boat only to realize after a failed attempt at submerging that I had forgotten my weights in my haste to be the first diver in the water.

As I climbed back on board to gather my weights all the divers (25+) were laughing AT me and I have never been able to forget how silly and embarassed I felt.

Oh my! I don't care to even fathom the level of humiliation I would feel if I ever forgot my tank.

FB-Florida Scuba Diver
the problem was not to go down, it was possible
the problem would to do deco stops at 10 ft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom