After almost 50 years, I've finally seen it all!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sorry, but I do believe, Dr. Bill was the victim of some sort of gag. Anything else is unimaginable. ... Perhaps the diver was testing exactly how much weight differential there was between a rig with and without a tank.

I guess he was just using his snorkel and I assume he didn't descend. I hope he didn't!
Not sure how you could descend without a tank if he had all the other gears/fullsuit on.
Well I guess this one really takes the prize.
Sounds like just sitting along the wall next to the stairs and watching the "entertainment" is worth the trip over.

Not sure how you could descend without a tank if he had all the other gears/fullsuit on.
Well I guess this one really takes the prize.
If the diver were properly weighted for an AL80 (which has +4 lbs. inherent buoyancy, BTW), I could easily see how the diver would be negatively buoyant at the surface with all of his other gear on...and an empty wing/BCD.

Please understand that I'm not trying to justify whether making such a descent is reasonable. :D

How in the world can someone manage to get their BCD on without noticing that there isn't a tank attached to it ...

:confused: :idk: :shakehead:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Maybe they were one of them new fangled OW sidemount divers.

I don't think that it had anything to do with instruction or training. I think they were channeling Darwin as you suggested. How do you blame that one on instruction? They were just total dumba$$e$. Here's hoping neither of them adds to the human family.

No way can you blame an instructor for this crap, unless he was there with them. Teaching people about buddy checks doesn't guarantee they'll do it. And no offense; to all you who remember jumping in without weights: your buddy check didn't go so well either :eyebrow:

Crewing on dive boats, I have seen a lot:
No weight belt
No fins
No mask
Air turned off
Dry Suit not zipped up (Very funny in 40F water)
Dry Suit neck extender still in (see above)

And I have seen many of these in combination, the worst cases are with "Instructors."

One case was on the old Wahoo with a diver who all the way out to the wreck made it known to all the others on the boat that "He was an INSTRUCTOR" and Knew just about everything. Well said instructor geared up and was asked :

Crew: Do you want us to do an equipment check?
Instructor: "No I'm an Instructor and don't touch my gear!"
Crew: Okkkkkk, go ahead
the "Instructor" jumps off the boat
Crew leaning over the rail says : "Mr Instructor, most divers like to have a mask, weight belt, fins and their air turned on" " "Would you like some help or are you all set?"

The Instructor earned a lessen in humility, and got a good talking to about proper behaviorexpected of all divers when on the boat.

Couple years back I was about to step off the Peace for a nice Channel Islands solo dive. I handed my camera to the boat crew to hand down to me, picked up my scooter, walked to the gate, and was about to step off the boat when the guy commented "I guess since you have your scooter you don't need your fins" ... hmmm ... I knew something didn't feel quite right ... :shakehead:

Do anything long enough and sooner or later your brain's gonna develop a bad case of flatulance ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Like, I don't mean to doubt your word but, I mean , like, you know, the second stage is connected to, like, the first stage and the first stage is connected to the 'tank', you know. Only Darwin would have an explanation for this scenario.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom