After OW, What next? AOW or Gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rderige

Registered
Reaction score
Dubai, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi All,

I am a relatively new diver, having less than 50 dives under my belt since I got certified last July 2012.

I would just like to ask the more experienced divers here on what is the next thing to do. Should I start investing on my own gear or should I pursue Advance Certification? I can't do both at the same time (budgetary reasons) so I'm just wondering which one I should accomplish first.

I'm thinking of going for the AOW but some people are saying that OW is enough for now and it would be better if I start having my own gear.

What do you guys suggest?

Assuming you already have mask and fins and assuming you are either a "regular" body type and can rent an appropriate suit or already have one given you are on a budget I'd recommend spending your money on more diving. Unless you specifically need to dive deeper AOW is something that can wait, again given budget constraints. If I had to choose between the two I'd likely buy some gear as often when you own your own gear you tend to dive more.

You can do a lot of Learning on your own by watching videos,reading forums and practicing in water. Unless you have particular type of dive you want to do that is beyond your current training, bottom time is the best training.. invest in AOW as money permits.

AOW would bring you to different diving environment and experience. However, a simple dive computer would be very useful in any form of rec diving.

Thanks all. The first gear I have ever purchased is a Suunto D4i as I realized that renting a dive computer won't do for me. After that I got fins, gloves, and a mask and snorkel.

I also want to pursue higher certification (AOW, Rescue, DM, etc) but not in a real hurry to do so. :)

I went for gear, I no longer have to rent anything. Check out the classifieds and craigslist/ebay if you're on a budget. There are deals to be had.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

Wow, you have burned the candle at both ends. Going over 25 dives in rental gear is throwing a lot of money away while at 25+ dives you are in the sweet spot for AOW. If cash is an issue it sounds like you need to break a cycle and buy your gear, that will free up cash for future training. It will also have you in permanent known gear for AOW. For classes like Peak Performance Buoyancy being in your permanent gear can be a real good thing.

Pete

Last edited:
I say go for the gear. So you dont have to "dial it in" everytime you get a new set-up.

Wow, you have burned the candle at both ends. Going over 25 dives in rental gear is throwing a lot of money away while at 25+ dives you are in the sweet spot for AOW. If cash is an issue it sounds like yo need to break a cycle and buy your gear, that will free up cash for future training. It will laso have you in permanent known gear for AOW. For classes like Peak Performance Buoyancy being in your permanent gear can be a real good thing.

Pete

+1. Unless you are in a rent to own deal. Then it makes sense. Better to save for 6mos and not dive and get gear, than bleeding washingtons for short term fun. You won't forget a lot if you wait, but you will be rusty, so do your drills with your new-to-you gear once you get it. Maybe grab a DM with nothing to do, buy him/her lunch and do a tuneup dive when you get back.

Personally I'd go for some gear, starting with a wetsuit. If you know what kind of BCD or regs you'd like, which you can slowly figure out through renting various kinds, you could go for those too. I wouldn't invest in anything if you're not sure that this is really what you want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom