After work Norfolk/Va Beach shore dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I am also looking to add up my number of dives. Still waiting for my card to come in, but looking to get wet.

I own a snailboat (Sailboat) so I can get away from shore, just no faster than 6 Knots.

Would be interested in being kept in the loop.

I am up for diving any time. I dive under the Piankatank River Bridge, connecting Middlesex and Mathews, occasionally and it makes for an easy access shallow dive. Visibility is usually no better than 5' but there are some tasty oysters on the bridge supports. If anyone is interested in diving this with me one evening, let me know. I'm also open to traveling over to VA Beach.

We have a trip with Lynnhaven we are trying to get interest in. May 12 to the Luckenbach. Drewski, Smithfielddiver, & I are set to go & would love to meet & dive with as many as we can get out on the trip. From Lynnhaven's website:Lillian Luckenbach. (105 fsw) A 6,369 ton freighter sunk on March 27, 1943 after colliding with SS Cape Henlopen. The wreck lies on it's port side. The bow and stern are recognizably intact, the amidships section is more broken down. The superstructure is scattered in the sand. This a very interesting wreck but often overlooked in favor of the nearby John Morgan. The last time I was there I only got 95 feet & no one else got to 90. I like playing in the sand.

Ivan, just wanted to say hi and to tell you the tall gal (Donna V.) in your picture of dive buddies, on your myspace page works at the same place I do.

I helped with her Open Water Class as she got certified with My wife, daughter and son.

Small World!!!

Anyone want to meet at Lake Rawlings on Saterday 28th? Its still cold but I am trying out fairly new Drysuit (but will also stay shallow if anyone wants to dive wetsuit.) I plan to be there at about 8 or 8:30am (I drive a 1999 Grey Explorer)

It is a small world. She went to school with my wife and the other girl in the picture (who is also Donna). I dive with the other Donna. She is my wife's best friend. Her husband doesn't dive and neither does my wife. So we dive and they snorkle. Whatever works to get our signifigant others involved. Tell her I said Hi and to come back out diving again.

I may be at Rawlings on Sunday, depending on getting the wife's blessing.

Aloha Everyone, checking in from the 50th state. It's great to see all the interest this thread has generated, and I am psyched to do some diving this summer. Work has me out here for the week on a conference, I've been here since Sunday and head home Friday. I got in a boat dive on Monday, my first, and it was FANTASTIC. It was a 2 tank, two wreck ocean dive, both wrecks in about 95 feet of water. The first was an old Navy LCU, locally named the "deep LCU", and the second was a fairly well known wreck, the Mahi, which is an old Navy minesweeper. Vis for the first dive was probably about 80 feet, I could make out the dive boat from the top of the wreck, and the bottom was at 95 feet! For the second dive on the Mahi it dropped to maybe 40 as the wind started to churn things up pretty good. There was a strong current, and though I felt comfortable the entire time, you certainly had to pay attention if you didn't want to end up being carried away or smashed against the boat or wreck. Some of the locals were lamenting how "bad" the conditions were! I chuckled to myself, and was very happy with the 40 foot vis and 77 degree water, even if it was sub-par. I had to work the last 2 days, but I am pumped to go again with the same outfit tomorrow, this time on a dive to about 105 feet. The wind has really been blowing the last few days, which has put a stop to almost all diving, the surf has been pounding all over the island, but I got in some snorkeling late in the afternoons both yesterday and today in some sheltered areas off the Marine Corps base in Kaneohe. Lots of really neat fish among the coral, and even in three feet of water there is still lots to see. RAD-I'll be ready to tackle some local wrecks when I return, though I'll have to wait a little while to put in some family time with my wife and daughter. If I take off to dive right when I get back in VA, after being in Hawaii for a week, my wife will have a cow! I've been diving with a company called Ocean Concepts, they have the contract to service all the military bases here, but they seem pretty decent. Check out their website at oceanconcepts.com if you are interested in seeing more. See you all next week.
Rob

Back
Top Bottom