age and deep diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Roger D Miller
Thanks for the information. I do have some joint problems.
The good news is that diving deep will make the joint pain go away! At least it does for me. And the relief lasts for several hours after the dive (again, at least for me). Probably has something to do with the anesthetic effects of increased Nitrogen titre... but even if it's purely psychosomatic it's just one more reason to get wet.
Rick

As an old diver (55) I dive often and many times deep. I have logged enough dives that I have an extremely good idea of my limits. I would love to dive the Doria or other really deep stuff but I MUST consider my age when considering in the riskier dives.

I do dive with more caution. I dive only Nitrox and will finish an advance Nitrox course in the near future. This means I can obtain and safely use 100% O2 for my deeper dives.

We all share something (old guys and gals) that is we know we are not invicible! To date I have not seen or dived with an older diver who was not safe, responsible and downright good looking in SCUBA gear!

I subscribe to this difinition of old: If you have more memories than dreams then your are old!

The only buzz i got from the sixties. Was from working on fuel cells, while in the Air Force. After that I only did the beer thing. As for deep diving, haven't done that yet. Don't know if I can. But I'm going to give it a good try.

Old is when you can't remember were you left the car . That you didn't drive.

My dive instructor/dive partner is in his early 50's , routinely dives very deep, including decompression diving, and extremely deep cave diving. I sometimes have a hard time keeping up with him. Where we dive at, Oronogo, Mo. the entrance is a very steep walkway, we use twin 104 steel tanks and with all the tech gear you can imagine how heavy we are when we dive, he has no trouble at all! I admire all you older guys diving, and remember, you can do anything you set your mind to. Safe diving!

I could be wrong, but I believe Coustoue dove the Britanic in his early 70's (72?). Physical fitness, hydration, and deco procedures seem to be a lot more relevant than age.

Mike

I am not sure I am convinced by all the "you're at that age" crap!

If I looked at my diving here, I would break all the rules. Age(yup...passed that one awhile ago) - Cold water (what do you expect diving in Alaska) - Excercise before/after diving (We don't have personal sherpas here) - Weight (I am insulated for cold water diving) -- Depth (there's not much to see shallow around here) -- I think the only rule I don't break is the smoking and drinking one.....well, maybe I wiggle a little on the drinking one - but I never drink before I dive....however, a cold beer is pretty nice after diving!

I have seen folks in their 30's that I would swear are in their 70's and I have seen folks in their 70's that I would swear are in their 50's (I believe Sophia Loren would fill this bill) - I think physical age has nothing to do with much of anything.....How you feel and your health has everything to do with it.

ages

Roger, I've been diving since age of 14. I got my first ever bends hit at age 59. It was fairly serious, paralysis of the right leg and hip. Recovery took months with some residual weakness in the leg. I still shake a bit when lifting weights. Generally, there is no obvious indication inasmuch as I no longer limp or favor one side.

In years past, a minor infraction of the Navy tables always passed without result other than occasional fatigue. However, these days, I use a computer which has a conservative profile. It allows less bottom time than the tables. In addition, I believe that a routine "safety" stop is prudent. You might want to review the comments by FredT as well.

The most common reason for death of older divers is heart attack. Get in shape and have a checkup. Taking an aspirin every two days should help. Drink plenty of water or juice during the day. Have a beer or two when the sun is below the yardarm.

Untill Mike Ferrera and I started talking about solo diving in another forum on this board, I hadn't considered my age as pertinent.
And as it turns out, after reading thru this thread, there ain't much reason to be concerned, just exercise good judgement and go a little slower.
Thanks for your input guys !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom