age and deep diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and have done over a dozen dives greater than 80' since then. So far no problems. Wife and I are getting Nitrox cetrified next month just to be on the safe side.:wink:

After over a year lying dormant, our "old farts" thread has resurfaced... Lessee, I'm 55 now, and a short accounting of diving during that time shows 201 dives. Lakes, the Gulf, the Caribbean, Caves; shortest 19 minutes, longest 123 minutes (with deco); shallowest max depth 20 FFW, deepest 130 FSW; Minimum water temp 44F, max 86F; did some as an instructor, some as a student, some for fun, some to get meat for the table, some to take pictures; reef, wreck, cave, bridge rubble, rigs, remnants, "empty" bottom... every dive a great one. I wish I'd had the time and the deep pockets to do more.
The point? Most of the year I was battling plantar fasciaitis (that lasted over two years, and I don't recommend it), minor arthritis, had surgery on a "trigger" thumb (my doc wasn't exactly happy when I op-checked the "waterproof" claims of Band-Aid's new liquid bandage on his stitches)... the usual "old fart" stuff... and I do exercise rigid planning and depth/time/profile constraints far tighter than I did when I was young and immortal. But the bottom line is that age needn't keep one dry.
Dive.
Enjoy.
Rick :) :) :)

Ok, on your prompt input.
I was away from Diving for nearly 30 years ( after I became Land Locked ), took classes (1993) since everything had changed so much.
Been doing 75/80 dives most years, with over 100 last year, Geeze, it's great to get back under water.
Thanks for the advice.

Having qualified this year (my 60th) I have to point out to the 50ish crowd that they are but young pups.

I suspect that the old adage about age and treachery overcoming youth and strength is probably true. Knowledge of one's limitations and a determination to stay in shape can probably overcome a lot of the limitations related to getting older.

I plan to do this for a while

Back
Top Bottom