Agencies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just recently I have heard about the Ministry of Labour (Ontario) doing checks on Dive Shops and the fact that some stores will do air fills withour C-cards. This is what I mean that we need to police our industry or the gov't will do it for us. They are really starting to get serious.
TSSA went arround checking cascade systems after the tobby explosion. MOL has juristiction in the employee/employer relationship....ie the air a store owner provides to his/her staff must meet CSA spec. You can poison your customers all you want but in the long run its not good for business. LOL

Ontario Diver once bubbled...
You need a C card to get an air fill not to buy equipment. I know, splitting hairs....

In my experience, even if the store doesn't know you, asking for a c-card for air fills is the exception not the rule. I think it somewhat depends on how you look, if you look like you just got out of the water/out of a wetsuit, you most certainly won't be asked. In some cases, I think it's even how you enter the store. Watch a new or non diver struggle with a cylinder or 2, then watch someone with 40 plus dives carry a pair. It's not hard to pick out the one who's been doing it a while and he/she's not likely to get carded.

I must agree with BubbleBoy, there is a labor act out there in this province which covers quite clearly what the standards are, problem being unfortunately these standards are not being enforced and in some cases completely ignored. Problem being at minimum in the event of a lawsuit that air supplier doesn't have a leg to stand on. There is a fair number of cases out there that if they ever decide to go forward somebody is going to be up the creek.

taz22 once bubbled...

I believe you do need to rent or purchase tanks and reg's. A wetsuit won't hurt you, but if you use a reg wrong it could.

You do not need a c-card for purchasing anything other than air (renting or buying - all the same). Your reg is no different than a wetsuit without a cylinder to put it on.....

You also mention Scuba2000.... they are the ones Jimmy B was reffering too. They teach the entire course in a weekend, but that does NOT include your cert. dives, and they are not giving out c-cards until you do your cert. dives. All the class time and pool time is wrapped up in a weekend - thats thier GUARANTEE.......(Learn to dive in a weekend........ GUARANTEED!)

Now - IMO this is a crock - I've dove with divers trained at S2K - not impressed is an understatement. I've gone back and forth with Seahunter (instructor from S2K and member on this board from time to time) on this topic, and EVERYONE at S2K think they are doing a great job. It all comes down to $$$$$$$ my friend, and thats why S2K is the biggest and best - they can get diver wannabes out the door in a weekend...... skills are near zero, but they were shown everything on video, so they are ready to go....

SS

ScubaScott once bubbled...
You do not need a c-card for purchasing anything other than air (renting or buying - all the same). Your reg is no different than a wetsuit without a cylinder to put it on.....

You also mention Scuba2000.... they are the ones Jimmy B was reffering too. They teach the entire course in a weekend, but that does NOT include your cert. dives, and they are not giving out c-cards until you do your cert. dives. All the class time and pool time is wrapped up in a weekend - thats thier GUARANTEE.......(Learn to dive in a weekend........ GUARANTEED!)

SS

Well.....based on your points I have a few of my own to mention. My LDS WILL NOT rent nor sell tanks or regs or allow you to get a air fill without your C-card if they do not know you.

Secondly, Jimmy B's post about getting your diving training in a weekend seemed to indicate that these people were walking away with a C-card. I called him on that point and you have mentioned about that this is not the case, all they are getting is their confined pool dives. I'm not going to get into the debate whether this is wrong or right it is up to the individual to choose. However, that said, I think that people before they hit the open water should have a good grasp of the scuba skills they need and some pretty decent diving knowledge.

:bounce:

Now - IMO this is a crock - I've dove with divers trained at S2K - not impressed is an understatement. I've gone back and forth with Seahunter (instructor from S2K and member on this board from time to time) on this topic, and EVERYONE at S2K think they are doing a great job.

I'm not sure why you would pick on S2K. As I understand it all PADI dive shops (which is almost all in the GTA) all use the same 2 weekend format.

1. seahunter is the owner of S2K not just an instructor and has been in the SCUBA industry for 30+ years, and is understandably going to defend his shop and the quality of instructing there.

2. Everyone learns at their own pace. I took the 2 weekend course 3 years ago and found it adequate, tho the 8-10 hour days were long. Perhaps you are a slower learner and require more time to absorb information, and thus would not be for you.

The only reason I mentioned S2K (and I shouldn't have - my apologies to anyone whom I may have offended), was because they are the only shop from the area I have ever heard "Learn to dive in a weekend ...... GUARANTEED"

My point of this is how can a diver learn the skills to become a - and here's where things get sticky - a GOOD diver in a weekend? I'm not talking the classroom sessions here - I'm talking about diving skills. There is simply not enough time for ANY student to learn all underwater skills, and get them down in a weekend. Sorry - been through this argument before - the skills simply aren't there.

And I wasn't putting down Seahunter - I know who he is and his diving history. I don't think there are many others who are as qualified and experienced as him in Canada. Just saying - he and I have gone back and forth on this topic - he has his opinions and I have mine........

Slow learner? I'm hooked on phonics, dude.....

SS

taz22 once bubbled...

Well.....based on your points I have a few of my own to mention. My LDS WILL NOT rent nor sell tanks or regs or allow you to get a air fill without your C-card if they do not know you.

Secondly, Jimmy B's post about getting your diving training in a weekend seemed to indicate that these people were walking away with a C-card. I called him on that point and you have mentioned about that this is not the case, all they are getting is their confined pool dives. I'm not going to get into the debate whether this is wrong or right it is up to the individual to choose. However, that said, I think that people before they hit the open water should have a good grasp of the scuba skills they need and some pretty decent diving knowledge.

Taz - do you read all my post or only catch a few key words which you disagreed with?

Any LDS I've been to will not sell air (whether buying tanks or getting an airfill) WITHOUT a c-card. Yours won't sell regs - thats up to them. Without a cylinder to attach your reg to, the reg isn't doing much harm......

As to my opinions on weekend training, couldn't agree with you more......

SS

ScubaScott once bubbled...

SS

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see where you have mentioned Tanks in your previous quote above.

In my post I was just telling you what my LDS does. I was merely trying to share information with you rather that trying to piss in your corn flakes.

Should have said "renting or buying TANKS - all the same"......

BTW, your too late..... the wife pissed in the kornflakes very early this morning, which is having a direct link to my bad attitudes in my posts. Sorry guys and gals...... I will try to not let my home life affect my scubaboard life in the future.......

SS

Back
Top Bottom