Agencies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's 2 weekends and the better part of the day as you just stated, some people are doing half that in weeked. This is a dangerous trend.

BTW 60 dives are a lot but and not seeing you in the water , and not a shot at you either, but 60 dives and not to a standard doesn't solve the problem. because bad habits learned are hard to kick.

JB

Personally, I'd like to see people have to completed the OW, AOW and the Rescue Diver Course before they get a C-Card. This would mean they would have 4 CW and 5 AOW and 4 Resure dives before getting a card to dive.

I also think a minimum of 50 dives to varied depths and varied conditions ( instead of just 20 ) need to be made before a diver is even consider for taking the Dive Master course.

I agree.. A single weekend is not enough.... Personally I think no matter how the standards are set a lot depends on the instructor and the LDS where you did your training.
I also think that 50 dives might be a bit much as a requirement to earn a c-card. I really don't think that a large number of dives necessarily means that someone is a safe diver. I've seen some peope with several hundred dives do some pretty goofy stuff. Even if you make the requirement a 1000 dives, some people will still get themselves in trouble by getting themselves into situations that they can't handle.. It is up to each diver to dive at the level he feels comfortable..
Just read 'The Last Dive' or 'Deep Descent'.. Both books are full of experienced demi-gods of the diving world who do stupid things to get themselves killed.. sometimes over something as trivial as a cracked dinner plate...Experience and a lrage number of dives are not guarantee... Some people will always get themselves into trouble..

taz22 once bubbled...
Personally, I'd like to see people have to completed the OW, AOW and the Rescue Diver Course before they get a C-Card. This would mean they would have 4 CW and 5 AOW and 4 Resure dives before getting a card to dive.
Is that what you did?
We ALL started with a OW card.
This is a safe sport, even though some try to make it sound "Dangerous" in all the years I've been in the industry I personally knew only 3 people who had fatal incidents. I also rode motorcycles and knew 14 people killed. So I only dive, I sold my bike.

Back
Top Bottom