Air integrated computers...disadvantages?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are there any disadvantages to using a computer that is air-integrated?

I'm shopping for my next computer...

I use an AI computer. Mine is the console type and not the wrist mounted with a transmitter. For the type I use I see no disadvantage at all. I've been using an AI computer for the last 4 or 5 years I guess and have never had a problem/failure. Mine is the Sherwood Wisdom and I highly recommend it.

Of course it could always fail but what computer, pressure gauge, or depth gauge couldn't.

AI computers come in two flavors: Directly connected to the tank via HP hose, and registering via transmitter from HP orifice.

The disadvantage of a directly connected computer is that it hangs at your side, and is more cumbersome to reference than a gauge on your wrist. This isn't too important for tank pressure, as you are only going to reference it every five minutes or so (at the most) but it was very annoying for me to have my depth and time hanging by my side, as I want to check them more often. One could, of course, carry a separate bottom timer on one's wrist, but then you have spent money twice. Doing ascents while trying to manage the inflator hose and drag the gauge up from its storage was a nuisance, to me.

Using an air-integrated computer with a sender is convenient, because you have all your information on your wrist, but if you can't get the computer to sync with the transmitter, you don't have any pressure information. And I have seen problems with that enough times to make me very wary of depending on that setup as my only pressure information.

Last edited:
Are there any disadvantages to using a computer that is air-integrated?

I'm shopping for my next computer...

The advantage is that all the information is in one location/instrument.
The disadvantage is that all the information is in one location/instrument.

If/when the computer fails during a dive you no longer know your gas supply in addition to not knowing your depth & times. I have seen lots of computers fail, including hose & radio signal AI computers.

This is why I have always viewed AI computers as taboo.

AI computers come in two flavors: Directly connected to the tank via HP hose, and registering via transmitter from HP orifice.

The disadvantage of a directly connected computer is that it hangs at your side, and is more cumbersome to reference than a gauge on your wrist. This isn't too important for tank pressure, as you are only going to reference it every five minutes or so (at the most) but it was very annoying for me to have my depth and time hanging by my side, as I want to check them more often. One could, of course, carry a separate bottom timer on one's wrist, but then you have spent money twice. Doing ascents while trying to manage the inflator hose and drag the gauge up from it's storage was a nuisance, to me.

Using an air-integrated computer with a sender is convenient, because you have all your information on your wrist, but if you can't get the computer to sync with the transmitter, you don't have any pressure information. And I have seen problems with that enough times to make me very wary of depending on that setup as my only pressure information.

Great response, TS&M. I hadn't thought of that. I have been so used to using my wrist computer and a separate console gauge that I think I might not like having all of my info on my console. And the thought of going "wireless" by using a transmitter doesn't appeal to me. (for reasons listed)

Thanks, girl...as always, you rock!

I tried an AI computer (on a hose) when they first came out. After a couple years, I changed again to a separate SPG and a nitrox capable computer on my wrist. In hindsight, the AI computer was extra cost with very little added useful features.

The first decision is whether you want to use a in water computer at all. There is a rabid group of folks who think that tables cut from a surface computer and carried with you is THE way to go when coupled with a Gage.

My decision was to go the dive computer route. I chose the wrist mounted AI computer and successfully used it for the last 9 years. They work fine. But, like any gadget they do break occasionally.

When mine finally had a problem during a pre-dive check I bought a non-AI computer to replace the old one for one simple reason: Cost. Current AI computers are expensive; on the order of 2 to 3 times as much as non-AI machines. As far as I'm concerned that is the most significant downside.

Price imo is the only downside to an AI comp, i originally bought a pro plus 2, then i ordered an atom 2 when the wireless AI comps came out. Ever since i got the AI computer ive loved them, you cant beat the features of the AI computer as compared to a normal computers. Go with an AI if it fits your budget.

Dip'N Dive - Scuba Diving Training in Buffalo and WNY - Offline

I usually dive with 2 AI computers -- a Suunto Cobra (console on a hose) and a Suunto Vytec (wireless on my wrist). I use both of them in gauge mode. I think I have the practical experience to respond to the OP.

Disadvantages --They are more expensive than non-AI computers. I really think that is it. AS LONG AS you intend to have a computer, the only negative difference is the price.

IF you are using a wireless AI computer, you have the additional disadvantage of the transmitter going bad and/or not syncing correctly from the getgo. IF it is your only source of pressure info and it doesn't work, your dive is over.

One might ask why I use two AI computers? The simple answer is because I have them. IF I didn't already have them, I probably wouldn't replace them with AI computers -- but, to the contrary, would "relent" and go with an SPG and non-AI wrist computer. (NOTE, I may be getting a new wireless AI computer but, if I do, it is because a friend has put a gun to my head and has made me take a brand new, super duper, AI Computer that no one else has. Actually, I may be testing a new model and if it works as it should, it will be awesome!)

I have an SPG and a wireless AI computer. I see this as a virtually no downside gear config. I have all my information on my wrist. If the transmitter goes south, I have my SPG.

OK cost is an issue, but I am an active trader in used equipment and got mine at a great price...

1 is none and 2 is 1.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom